Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > WHEN THE WORLD WAS BLACK & WHITE in 1975

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : WHEN THE WORLD WAS BLACK & WHITE in 1975

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

15/08/2019 : 15:20:17      reply with quote

We were sorting though a box of inherited documents and came across these leaflets:

In 1975 we were already in the The Common Market (of 9 members) but we were given the opportunity to vote, by referendum, to say whether we wanted to stay in or come out.

The promises made are polls apart from the reality of The EU which the Common Market morphed into via various treaties.

Have a read - fascinating!

Britain's New Deal in Europe
news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Britanins-New-Deal-1975.pdf

Why you should vote YES
news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Why-You-Should-Vote-Yes-1975.pdf

click for more information

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

16/08/2019 : 09:52:25      reply with quote

posted by Peter

We were sorting though a box of inherited documents and came across these leaflets:

In 1975 we were already in the The Common Market (of 9 members) but we were given the opportunity to vote, by referendum, to say whether we wanted to stay in or come out.

The promises made are polls apart from the reality of The EU which the Common Market morphed into via various treaties.

Have a read - fascinating!

Britain's New Deal in Europe
news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Britanins-New-Deal-1975.pdf

Why you should vote YES
news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2019/08/Why-You-Should-Vote-Yes-1975.pdf

Ha..Peter definitely interesting reading!!
Life changes though..sometimes for the better and sometimes for the worst.
Britain, has by a democratic process with a majority vote decided to leave, as they obviously believe they are not benefiting as well.
Its interesting how the Why-You-Should-Vote-Yes-1975.pdf talks about it being good for employment, when in fact many of you doubters out there know very well that it is only good for those who are willing to move to other countries (thats if those contries have jobs!), or indeed for those wanting to come into this country and take up our jobs.
If this country invests in itself rather than support other countries, which haven't our countries interest at heart, then we should be so much better for it.
It’s like looking after yourself! At the end of the day you are number one.if you dont look after yourself, who can you expect to do it?
Investing in our country, also means investing in our children, so they have jobs to go to. We need proper training programs, such as bringing back apprenticeship type schemes for nurses and many other skillled professions, rather than bringing in often, those from abroad, which are supposed to be trained, but still require further training when they arrive; which also are poor on language skills.
A few years ago whilst on the emergency ambulance/hospital phone line/call back system i nearly died as a result of a foreign person, who's attempt at speaking english I could not understand.
The arrogance of the EU says it all, in my eyes. Why would anyone work with leaders of other countries with that attitude. You wouldn’t in private business! That also goes the same for the SNP.
As far as im concerned Boris is right to pursue where he can with getting a deal to remove the backstop; Any self-governing country wants its own borders and rightly so. If the EU cant be bothered to negotiate then so be it...we shall after put in our own borders back, and let the EU sort out Ireland! (maybe thats what they dont want to do!)

What do you think?

robin
Website Member

Website Member

16/08/2019 : 16:19:25      reply with quote

As someone of advancing years who was persuaded to vote remain in ‘75 on the advice of parents, grandparents and other then senior citizens (now long dead) that it would be better to be friends with Germany rather than fighting them again, none of them ever considered the federal Europe that has been created. Everything we were promised has failed to materialise, we cannot make anything because it upsets the Germans, grow anything the french or catch anything the spaniards. The workshop of the world has become the dumping ground for the worlds economic migrants. We cannot deport murderers and rapists because the liberal wets say it’s against their human rights, the sick of the world can fly in, take a taxi to the local hospital and get free treatment, try that in Spain. In my opinion that’s why the baby boomers voted leave, in ‘75 we were conned.

Jolly Bob
Website Member

Website Member

16/08/2019 : 21:10:47      reply with quote

Well said Robin

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

17/08/2019 : 07:16:29      reply with quote

It was not the EU that sold off the 'family silver' but the Tory party with their free market approach to everything.
Practically the UK was able to veto EU laws and did so for about 3%, including an EU proposal to control internal migration.
Blaming the EU for our economic woes is the biggest lie promoted by the Brexit brigade.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

17/08/2019 : 13:37:36      reply with quote

old miner short memory...! it was Gordon Brown who sold off the silver ( well, all the gold really) and helped to bankrupt the country. Was he a Tory?

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

17/08/2019 : 13:41:26      reply with quote

And Gordon Brown signed us up to the Lisbon Treaty, which is a disaster... read up on it….
We need to be out of the EU...

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

18/08/2019 : 09:15:28      reply with quote

So who sold off the railways, buses, gas, electricity, water, telecoms, steel, and allowed ARM to be sold off to foreigners. Certainly was not Gordon Brown.

I might take brexiteers more seriously when I learn a real problem created by being in the EU and how things will be much better after Brexit.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

20/08/2019 : 14:43:58      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
It was not the EU that sold off the 'family silver' but the Tory party with their free market approach to everything.
Practically the UK was able to veto EU laws and did so for about 3%, including an EU proposal to control internal migration.
Blaming the EU for our economic woes is the biggest lie promoted by the Brexit brigade.

I fail to understand what you mean by “economic woes”. This is not an issue any Brexiteer I know is aware of!
And is certainly not an argument I have heard!
Clearly Old Miner you are a remainder: you are spreading false propaganda!

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

20/08/2019 : 14:48:45      reply with quote

posted by old_miner

I fail to understand what you mean by “economic woes”. This is not an issue any Brexiteer I know is aware of!
And is certainly not an argument I have heard!
Clearly Old Miner you are a remainder: you are spreading false propaganda!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

20/08/2019 : 22:02:55      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
So who sold off the railways, buses, gas, electricity, water, telecoms, steel, and allowed ARM to be sold off to foreigners. Certainly was not Gordon Brown.

Pretty much anyone with a pension enjoys their standard of living because of dividend from these sectors

porta
Website Member

Website Member

21/08/2019 : 23:55:08      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
posted by old_miner

Pretty much anyone with a pension enjoys their standard of living because of dividend from these sectors
Where to start...
Free market:...

- cancer/HIV drug Daraprim is £2.30 per pill here and £619 (not a typo!) per pill in the US
- cataract surgery costs £800 here and£5780 in the US

We’ve been warned. Fight for our #NHS as though our lives depend on it

Pensions in the free market:
Massive defecits as those wonderful ‘privatised’ industries raided them and they’re worth bugger all...ohand you’ll be dead afore you can claim them anyway as the real working mans average age at death is 74.6 and the worst pensionable age in Europe...

I could go on about manufacturing, services, banking and tax but anyone that believes the rubbish spouted would follow silsdens/uks little thatcher in drag off a cliff if the mail/bbc repeated that Johnson said the channel was marshmallow

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

23/08/2019 : 08:25:17      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Actually only 5% of my pension comes from the private sector, tax payers pay the rest, thanks.

My savings are well spread investments, best performing is India.

As for economic woes down to government's policies. NHS under funded. Housing too expensive so the younger generation is being ripped off by all those pension pots based on property. Small businesses screwed by a national business rate, cannot have the locals taking back control. An education system based on results rather than education. A government wasting billions on a Brexit they did not plan for and are relying on magic to implement. Irish Fairies will certainly have their work cut out.

I suppose all the pot holes are the EU at fault too.

Well, brexit actually has not happened yet, and BOJO does not seem to have any new ideas, Irish Fairies excepted.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

23/08/2019 : 08:30:14      reply with quote

yes before we went into europe in the early 70s,nhs was working v well same day appointments choice of doctor,operations within weeks instead of months and years as is now,COME ON ALL YOU BREXITEERS make sure we get out and for good 'happy :)');

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

23/08/2019 : 08:38:16      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

So brexit means all will be well with NHS? Not sold off to the US as Farage and co. are promoting?

porta
Website Member

Website Member

24/08/2019 : 20:41:17      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
yes before we went into europe in the early 70s,nhs was working v well same day appointments choice of doctor,operations within weeks instead of months and years as is now,COME ON ALL YOU BREXITEERS make sure we get out and for good 'happy :)');
Yes...and since we had the seventies we got thatcher...allowed pharmaceuticals to get bigger and with greater deregulation...UK only has GSK and AZ and a report to the HoC states:

“...the UK taxpayer effectively pays twice for medicines: first through investing in R&D, and then by paying high prices for the resulting medicine once ownership has been transferred to a private company."

The EU regulates just how much it’s ‘acceptable’ to pay AND they want further controls (including those companies actually paying their full share of tax)....in response to Robins claim that we have medical tourism, first claimed in the daily mail and lazily picked up by most of the main stream media, this was totally debunked and the BBC had to apologise (search their complaints section on website). Moreover, it’s cheaper to get my teeth done in France/Italy/Germany and Spain, I know as I’ve had to avail myself of their service and, one more point on health...the UK OPTED NOT TO CHARGE AND RECLAIM SERVICES which each state in EU can

porta
Website Member

Website Member

24/08/2019 : 20:49:45      reply with quote

And while we’re at it

Heard this sooooo many times in the pubs...’well VW will still want to sell their cars here’
Yes, they will, they’ll cost you more, as will the parts and servicing!
So, will you buy British? Can’t wait to see all those JCBs and Ginettas in Silsden!
We don’t own our steel, much of our major manufacturing, our water, gas, electric...
Hell, even Johnson is so far up Trumps backside he can polish his teeth...and the other Tory UKIP and Brexit parties are already ‘short changing’ our currency and banking it offshore, so yes, they’ve all got YOUR best interests at heart...if you’re going to make an argument, don’t quote the media or harm back ‘the good old days’
No one insisted on straight bananas....but there’s plenty of bent buggers ruining the country

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

27/08/2019 : 08:22:38      reply with quote

I too had to avail myself of a French dentist. About the same as NHS. Drugs cost more though.
Spain however is brilliant. Sister got a problem sorted there quickly at very reasonable cost. Scott is private equivalent suggested cost of arm and leg levels. Spain for the sun and a dentist.

porta
Website Member

Website Member

27/08/2019 : 08:56:40      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
I too had to avail myself of a French dentist. About the same as NHS. Drugs cost more though.
Spain however is brilliant. Sister got a problem sorted there quickly at very reasonable cost. Scott is private equivalent suggested cost of arm and leg levels. Spain for the sun and a dentist.
Uk, £96 for x-ray and repining cap
France £38 for 3D imaging, reseating and repining same cap that fell out 2 weeks after UK dentist pinned...there is a variation in prices in France especially between tourist cities and ordinary cities, towns etc.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

27/08/2019 : 12:01:15      reply with quote

There is nothing like hijacking a post and having a good moan is there..... why not read the first post AND the PDFs which are linked?

This is all about what we signed up to when we joined the Common Market and what we have ended up with - a United States of Europe, or at least going that way, because it's the only way the EU can survive is to have common tax, laws and budgetary area - one to rule all. Is it any wonder the people voted to leave the EU? (After the largest vote in UK history which ended with a 1.7 million majority to leave the EU)

.... and by the way if you bother to read the 1975 leaflets it was proposed and recommended by Harold Wilson (remember his with the £pound in your pocket?) and it was Labour Government that recommended we remain in the Common Market.

porta
Website Member

Website Member

28/08/2019 : 10:50:34      reply with quote

With the greatest respect Peter

I did read the leaflets, I also studied Economic and Social History (after getting out of 19 years manual labour in the motor trade, just so folk know I’m not one of those ‘snowflake elite’)

The time has gone when g’ments do much of the control of their own economies. The rise of enormous multinational institutions, in the media and business, now have much more influence than that of of the post war to mid-seventies economic and political scene.

I do agree that a United States of Europe should be subject to much more scrutiny and control, and that it has far over reached its original scope...however, the world has moved on and Britain is not the major player it once was, nor has it the power, influence and stature.

We do NOT have control over our services, media and much of our manufacturing is owned by ‘outside’ multinationals and our two strong points, Arms and Banking/finance, both are dubious by selling arms to very questionable states, pay only a small percentage of their real taxable worth AND the banks finance and allow this creative accounting....the banks themselves were responsible for the crashes, nobody was prosecuted and this g’ment made the poorest in society to pick up the tab by introducing a programme of austerity.

We all know how that worked out...they’ve borrowed more than anyone in history and slashed our public services.

The EU is NOT responsible for this, indeed, the EU wants to curtail the profiteering and make individuals and businesses accountable....yes the EU has gone far beyond it’s original remit, but then, so has the world...better to reform from within than give ourselves to the USA
solid wood flooring

cars
Website Member

Website Member

28/08/2019 : 18:17:52      reply with quote

well its black & white now chaps !!
.....with Boris the GREAT suspending Parliament...(balls of steel, balls of steel)

porta
Website Member

Website Member

29/08/2019 : 11:37:25      reply with quote

History in a nutshell: Tories elected at time of national crisis caused by reckless bankers. They used crisis not as an excuse to punish bankers but the poor. They then blamed the EU and, because their donors owned the media, they were able to make people believe it

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

30/08/2019 : 07:24:06      reply with quote

posted by cars
well its black & white now chaps !!
.....with Boris the GREAT suspending Parliament...(balls of steel, balls of steel)
Surely it is Bojo the clown, no balls.

porta
Website Member

Website Member

30/08/2019 : 09:18:12      reply with quote

Yeah...trumps got his balls...what amazes more than anything is the repeated lies, that have been proven to be lies, are still used as ‘evidence’ but...

‘To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead’

So I’m going to leave the argument there as there are those that want to follow a path, or cannot admit they are mistaken, despite unshakable evidence...a bit like the bloke who will never ask for directions

victor
Website Member

Website Member

30/08/2019 : 09:18:42      reply with quote

All the PM has to do is get within six weeks of the leaving date and call an election, then parliament will be suspended and we will have left the E.U. before the new one sits. All he is interested in is getting back the Brexit party votes.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

30/08/2019 : 09:28:52      reply with quote

It is a shame that the Labour and Conservative party's have been taken over by people who are not fit to govern.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

31/08/2019 : 08:28:35      reply with quote

posted by victor
It is a shame that the Labour and Conservative party's have been taken over by people who are not fit to govern.
Only the Tories have demonstrated incompetence. Labour have an untested crew.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

31/08/2019 : 10:03:44      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

untested labour crew yes but they will still be as rubbish as all the past crews,a cross between brown and trump and u get corbin 'laugh :D');

victor
Website Member

Website Member

31/08/2019 : 11:01:21      reply with quote

doggy I think you are a bit off course the cross is between Lenin and Stalin.

Golden Oldie
Website Member

Website Member

31/08/2019 : 14:02:12      reply with quote

If the Tories are incompetent where does that leave Labour, who the heck wants the likes of Corbyn.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

31/08/2019 : 14:14:30      reply with quote

Golden Oldie hopefully NOT IN MY LIFETIME.

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

01/09/2019 : 07:50:07      reply with quote

The other evening our Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition were both interviewed on TV.

One spoke in a clear statesmanlike way.

One waffles.

That is the reason the party. of government is avoiding a general election. Equal exposure is not wanted.
Last time at a general election the prime minister did not waffle.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

01/09/2019 : 08:36:14      reply with quote

corbyn a waffler,correct 'laugh :D');

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

02/09/2019 : 08:06:40      reply with quote

Since when did Jeremy Corbyn acquire a mop of white hair and put on weight then?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/09/2019 : 16:25:57      reply with quote

Please Boris Johnson get us out of the EU as soon as possible – Yorkshire Post letters

To get to Halloween, the People’s PM will have to defeat the deranged, the shameless, the vacant and at best seriously misguided, otherwise known as our political elite and the bureaucrats of Brussels.

.....How on earth did we fall into this debilitated political condition where so-called Parliamentary luminaries conspire to keep us in a failing EU that prevents them from governing their own country?

What is it about the EU that drives men and women to worship an unreconstructed and undemocratic Brussels, despise their own nation and very own Parliament and expose their lack of principle? After all, they signed up to laws and manifestos promising Brexit after the 2016 referendum.

....Let us not kid ourselves that it will then be plain sailing. Those gripped by EU hysteria will not suddenly fall silent. That would be too much to hope. But it is only when we are out that we can really turn our attention to building a new, resurgent Britain.

That seems unlikely to be achieved unless we improve the quality of our Parliamentarians who, over the last three years, have frankly exhibited a contempt for principle. They cannot expect to be looked up to when they promise one thing in an election – Brexit – and then do everything to frustrate it.

Not to put too fine a point on it, that is treachery – and all the more treacherous for putting the interests of the EU before their own country’s.

BERNARD INGHAM
Published: 05:45
Updated: 07:49
Wednesday 04 September 2019

Read the full article here
https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news/opinion/columnists/boris-johnson-our-people-s-pm-is-right-to-call-a-general-election-if-stupidity-rules-over-brexit-bernard-ingham-1-9973115

Replies in this thread : 47
Page : 1 2
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > WHEN THE WORLD WAS BLACK & WHITE in 1975  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to