Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Great wall of cringles at last

Replies in this thread : 13

Author

Topic : Great wall of cringles at last

logicale
Website Member

Website Member

01/05/2019 : 17:45:18      reply with quote

Looks like the works have come to an end Most of the stuff has been removed from the road Fear not something else will turn up for the moaning minnies LOL
click for more information

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

02/05/2019 : 07:47:55      reply with quote

Well I found out why these roads are collapsing. 18th century privatization, the toll roads. To make the slopes relatively shallow the road is cut into the side of the hill. Rather than dig the full road width on ly part was cut and the spoil used to build up the road. This side then collapses over time. Combined with sliding hill on the other side it is a natural problem. Considering the roads are around 200 years,old and built with picks and shovels it is something we have to accept. Basically, nothing is forever.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

02/05/2019 : 08:05:20      reply with quote

exactly the same applies to Kex Gill, cut & fill

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2019 : 18:28:26      reply with quote

Have been on this road all weekend and it would seem to me that the work has finished, footpath has been reinstated and metal barriers removed but we still have traffic lights in place. There is an excavator sat in the road that could have been moved to a hard standing on the other side of the road. Maybe they the contractors are waiting for some other part of the wall to fall down.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2019 : 18:49:49      reply with quote

Don't shout too load, have read of this....

The work will be undertaken by Jagger Construction starting on 13 May 2019 or thereabouts and lasting for approximately 64 weeks.

The works will involve taking down the existing stonework retaining wall and reconstruction of a new mass fill concrete wall faced with stonework. The existing parapet wall shall be taken down and a new 450mm thick, 1200mm high masonry faced concrete infill parapet wall shall be rebuilt.

Full details news.silsden.net/development/a6034-retaining-wall-repairs-13-may-2019-for-64-weeks

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2019 : 18:59:50      reply with quote

Looks like this work relates only to the reservoir retaining wall? So maybe no traffic delays, but I reckon there will be more work on the Cringles Wall before long, who knows?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/05/2019 : 19:28:20      reply with quote

posted by dexter
Looks like this work relates only to the reservoir retaining wall? So maybe no traffic delays, but I reckon there will be more work on the Cringles Wall before long, who knows?
Did you miss this bit?

Wall repairs for 64 weeks along A6034

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

06/05/2019 : 06:21:09      reply with quote

Thanks Peter, I did miss it!

Harvey spicer
Website Member

Website Member

06/05/2019 : 08:39:18      reply with quote

the lights have been up so long i have become used to them ,which in itself is shocking.
i have a construction business in Addingham, a yard at Cringles and my main supplier is in silsden.

i dare not quantify the time and money these lights have cost me , so when someone says we are moaning minnies or whingers i just roll my eyes.

at the end of the day, it maybe had to be done, and it's getting done' and eventually it will be done.

however

my biggest gripe , and the one i know many many people feel the same about is the horrific stone work, or more accuretley the type of sawn bed stone that's been used .

had they used random stone it would have taken longer, but in the scheme of things whats a few extra months, but the stone they have used is awful, has no place in a countryside setting and should not be allowed in a conservation area , let alone on a beautiful setting like it has been,

other sections of that wall from addingham to silsden have been done previously , there are date stones in a few places marking what sections were done and when, look closely,there's one near the reservoir entrance and one on the left near the roundabout at Addingham, they used random wall stone .
look at the section on the right as you approach the roundabout at the addingham end coming down from Silsden, that new section of wall looks really nice and adds to the vista and aesthetics of the area , the walls either side further up which have been done in the last 2 years look vile and will never ever blend in, all that will happen is they will dirt up from traffic and become less visible.
motor ways have better landscaping than this.

any way Hey hoy ..........i have to find something else to moan about now i suppose.

walks away rolling eyes and shaking head ....

wheelaman123
Website Member

Website Member

06/05/2019 : 10:03:23      reply with quote

Well i spoke too soon, this morning the excavator is working they are back filling the wall with soil maybe just another day to go before we have the road back..

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

06/05/2019 : 11:33:12      reply with quote

Dont give up Harvey spicer, you are totally right, I cant bring myself to like the finished product, looks all wrong!

Traveller
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2019 : 10:17:25      reply with quote

How have they been allowed to use this diabolical type of walling in such a beautiful area. If shops want to change their frontage it has to be within keeping of the surrounding areas. The same rules should apply here. Someone, somewhere isn't doing their job correctly.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2019 : 10:57:47      reply with quote

big queues early this morning ,lights stuck on red both ways 'angry');

hat
Website Member

Website Member

07/05/2019 : 11:33:33      reply with quote

i'm pretty sure if you look back on the original planning approval, they were supposed to use random stone. I've no idea how they got away with this - or just as importantly what happened to all the original stone that was not re-used

Replies in this thread : 13

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Great wall of cringles at last  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to