Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > A bridge for the few

Replies in this thread : 15

Author

Topic : A bridge for the few

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2018 : 12:24:22      reply with quote

What a waste of money?

‘Lives at risk’ fear as anger grows over delays to bridge feasibility study
https://www.keighleynews.co.uk/news/16959008.lives-at-risk-fear-as-anger-grows-over-delays-to-bridge-feasibility-study/?action=success#comments-feedback-anchor

Isn't about time this project was knocked on the head?

£700,000 (plus a fraction of the money that the bridge would cost) could provide a shuttle bus service to the rail station and hospital which would provide a service for all of the residents of Silsden, not just for the people that have to, or choose to, walk to and from the station. The service could be up and running very quickly.

Has anyone bothered to find out why these people walk to and from the station and where they live in Silsden?

A flat rate subsidised bus service could meet trains, or passengers would only have a minimal wait for a bus and the bus could serve both sides of the station. There is a route to get to the Leeds direction of the train line which a hopper bus could use. A shuttle bus could pick up passengers from all of Silsden and deliver them to the station and home dry.

A bridge cannot serve both sides of the station easily, you will either have to go up or down a level (steps or steep ramp) before you start your journey, or when you return, ie there is no way to cross over the line without going up / down some steps. It is human nature to take the easiest and shortest route. If a footbridge is built passengers will continue risking crossing the A629 as they do now.

The bridge will be a white elephant.

click for more information

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2018 : 13:11:04      reply with quote

I dont agree with it.Something should have been provided at build stage. If it ever gets built a lot if not most will still cross the road.It will no doubt be a long winding slope both sides and people will still risk the road.
A bus service connecting with trains makes common sense and the fare should be included in the train fare.
The usual catchment area for people to walk to the station is 800m and even the new site on Belton Road is outside this.

Public Transport is the way forward.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/10/2018 : 13:13:09      reply with quote

I have done a search for up and coming tenders for Bradford Council and The West Yorkshire Combined Authority and nothing shows up for the consultancy

old_miner
Website Member

Website Member

10/10/2018 : 18:36:15      reply with quote

A simple traditional foot bridge with steps would suffice for the majority of people who walk. However the footpath over the river bridge means to access the station a long one over the round-a-bout would be needed.

Alternatively reduce the pavement width on one side of the rive bridge and increase the other and build a simpler bridge that side.

I suspect in this era of inclusivenss any bridge has to cater for all possibilities. This increases the cost substancially so making the whole concept a wate of time.

Some simple questions.

How many accidents have there been involving pedestrians crossing the dual carriageway in the last 25 years?

How many people of restricted mobility, possibly requiring an aid regularly use that route to the station or Steeton?

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

10/10/2018 : 19:48:45      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

There is only one possibility of a crossing and as i have always stated it will be an underpass.

The feasibility study for a bridge, pushed forward by our councillors and the TC and supported by many of you, is a complete waste of public money and should never have been commissioned as an individual project. It should have always been a feasibility study to find the best possible solution, financially and/or physically.

That solution i am without doubt would always arise at an underpass.

There are many obvious and pragmatic reasons for this.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

10/10/2018 : 20:19:31      reply with quote

posted by old_miner
A simple traditional foot bridge with steps would suffice for the majority of people who walk. However the footpath over the river bridge means to access the station a long one over the round-a-bout would be needed.

Alternatively reduce the pavement width on one side of the rive bridge and increase the other and build a simpler bridge that side.

I suspect in this era of inclusivenss any bridge has to cater for all possibilities. This increases the cost substancially so making the whole concept a wate of time.

Some simple questions.

How many accidents have there been involving pedestrians crossing the dual carriageway in the last 25 years?

How many people of restricted mobility, possibly requiring an aid regularly use that route to the station or Steeton?

According to crashmap there have been 4 pedestrian related incidents at or around the roundabout in 19 years. 1 in 1999, 2 in 2003, all classed as slight, and one serious in 2011.

As to how many people of restricted mobility use the route, given that you already have to cross keighley road before getting to the river bridge? probably very few

Jolly Bob
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 09:15:27      reply with quote

I would be interested to hear the views of a a disabled person who might make use of a bridge

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 10:59:28      reply with quote

Just to remind you the distances and area involved

This project is a waste of money - flac to give us something to talk about

If it doesn't go to both sides of the platform what use is it, human nature says if it's not convenient it wont get used. Why to people use shortcuts?

A white elephant

Put the money to good use and subsidise a shuttle bus (or two) which will serve the whole population of Silsden (and Steeton).

tetleydrinker
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 15:58:16      reply with quote

We get it Peter, you don't agree with it because it will not benefit you

posted by Peter

What a waste of money?

Has anyone bothered to find out why these people walk to and from the station and where they live in Silsden?

And in answer to this question, did your own "website" not conduct a so called survey regarding access to the station.

www.silsden.net/survey/results/CyclePathResults_questions.htm#.W8Spm2hKgdU

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 17:10:39      reply with quote

posted by tetleydrinker
We get it Peter, you don't agree with it because it will not benefit you

posted by Peter

What a waste of money?

And in answer to this question, did your own "website" not conduct a so called survey regarding access to the station.

www.silsden.net/survey/results/CyclePathResults_questions.htm#.W8Spm2hKgdU

The survey title was Cycle Path to Steeton Station - nothing to do walking to the station, but more about safe access.

.... AND the survey was conducted in 2007 and these were the full survey questions
www.silsden.net/survey/results/CyclPathSurveyResults_nov07.pdf

.... AND I would hardly consider a sample size of 30 people as representing the views of the 8000 residents of Silsden

.... AND although a bridge was suggested by the respondents there wasn't an alternative method suggested at the time, and there was no consideration of the cost or the feasibility.

You are quite correct in saying I don't walk to the station I consider it too far to walk from where I live, and I don't use the train that often. When I do use the train I don't want to walk through rain, hail and sun and cross a busy road, or dodge cars parked on the pavement.

A bridge would not benefit me but it would only benefit the 100 or so that like to walk. However, the proposal I made for a shuttle bus would benefit the whole population of Silsden, delivering them to their destination safely, dry and not frazzled.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 19:32:50      reply with quote

Got to be a shuttle bus, makes sense for the future in an expanding town...

mayflower
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 20:41:04      reply with quote

Shuttle bus a brilliant idea 😊 Serves a broader range of user.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

15/10/2018 : 21:17:49      reply with quote

shame the 7 seater taxi could`nt meet the leeds and bfd trains,leaving silsden to take people to get trains and come back with people off the trains.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

16/10/2018 : 09:30:07      reply with quote

Your all missing the point!

A shuttle bus may be okay for those who can’t or dont want to walk but that does not resolve the dangerous situation of crossing the roundabout for those who want to walk and have the exercise to and from the station!

Furthermore it was only recently (a few days ago) reported about the decline in bus services due to lack of funding and users. The only statutory requirement is to provide free bus travel for over 65’s!

if Jackson’s are reading this or someone want to ‘enterprise’ maybe their is an opening for a shuttle bus, after all the station is supposed to be turned into a ‘travel’ hub!

Still the pedestrian situation what this thread is primarily about needs resolution and the only way is for a simple underpass.

As usual, nobody appears to have a valid argument not look at this option.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

16/10/2018 : 09:47:23      reply with quote

There are lots of other places people could walk if they want the exercise. Get a bus to Steeton Top & walk back down? have the bus drop you over the river bridge & walk the rest of the way? Walk on the canal to Keighley and get the train there if you're that determined, it's lovely & clean now it's all been re-surfaced.

There's no easy solution for a bridge, it would have to be huge with very long ramps and would be very imposing on the landscape. an underpass following the old alignment of Station Road, including an underpass of the railway itself would be an obvious option

robin
Website Member

Website Member

16/10/2018 : 10:58:41      reply with quote

The main difficulty using the service busses is that they are not reliable, The .02 and .32 minutes past from Elliot street should be perfect to catch the Bradford service, but as it is often late by as much as 8 minutes the distance from the bus stop to the station plus the time taken to purchase a ticket , makes it difficult if not impossible.

Replies in this thread : 15

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > A bridge for the few  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to