Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to General Forum | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > General Forum > Dog walkers

Replies in this thread : 34

Author

Topic : Dog walkers

porta
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 12:27:24      reply with quote

Please keep dogs on leads and pick up n take away dog poop on farmland

I donít care if your dogs are fine with sheep...my sheep donít know that
I donít care that the track/path is fenced off...it doesnít stop your dog running up n down the fence lines scattering my sheep, we now have a prized tup with a broken leg
I donít want you telling me your dog is well trained...whilst one dog runs round barn whilst another is in the barn
I donít want my sheep eating your dog poop...massive rise in pathogens causing birth defects, miscarriage and both lamb and ewe dying
I donít want my sheep eating dog poop in poop bags...because theyíll get blocked digestive tracks that will kill them before the above pathogens can. Nor can I dispose all those that get left behind in trees, hedges, walls...
Already weíve had one dog rip apart a chicken, and that was a local dog of a friend, who was mortified, but not as mortified as the rest of the chucks who wouldnít come out of the coup for 3 days!
If it comes to it I WILL shoot your beloved pet. I really DONíT want to but, Iím not allowed to shoot the owners....I canít make the signs any clearer and canít put them in dog language, so PLEASE BE A RESPONSIBLE OWNER
click for more information

porta
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 13:16:42      reply with quote

I have been informed that:

I can exercise my right to prohibit any non compliers from the land, including the track
I can take photographs of perpetrators, either for evidence or identification
I can take legal action if they trespass, despite Ďright of accessí over track

It will not cost me anything legally as it would be a Police matter

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 17:29:08      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

as a dog owner myself i totally agree,i was at gordale scar today local farmer could`nt put more signs up,keep dogs on lead but people let their dogs off and let them wonder all over leaving deposits ,saw at least 5 piles of dog muck, and it says stick strickly to the footpath and folk are on his land having parties and picnics,there are the good dog owners and there are knobhead dog owners that say, "my little fido would`nt hurt a fly,he wont kill hens or chase sheep" ??????!!!!!,its not the dogs fault its the owners'sad :('); 'angry');

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 18:57:04      reply with quote

where is this

terrier52
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 20:31:35      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

Well l was at gordale scar on Saturday there Wasn't any sheep in the field it was full of tents and camper vans

terrier52
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 20:33:14      reply with quote

posted by terrier52
Well l was at gordale scar on Saturday there were no sheep in the field it was full of tents and camper vans

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

03/06/2018 : 22:31:55      reply with quote

there were no sheep in the field when i was there it still dos`nt mean u can let your dog off as the signs say dogs on leads only.and the tents and camper vans pay for staying off the path and on to the land.

Bee2771
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 06:44:18      reply with quote

I fully agree but not all pet owners are irresponsible...However being a responsible farmer also means that your livestock should be secure in their field, How many more times do I have to drive past the sub station to find lambs wondering in the road!!!! I have had two near misses where have had to swerve to miss the bloody things, the next time I will not stop, report you to the police and RSPCA and have lamb for tea!!!

posted by porta

I donít care if your dogs are fine with sheep...my sheep donít know that
I donít care that the track/path is fenced off...it doesnít stop your dog running up n down the fence lines scattering my sheep, we now have a prized tup with a broken leg
I donít want you telling me your dog is well trained...whilst one dog runs round barn whilst another is in the barn
I donít want my sheep eating your dog poop...massive rise in pathogens causing birth defects, miscarriage and both lamb and ewe dying
I donít want my sheep eating dog poop in poop bags...because theyíll get blocked digestive tracks that will kill them before the above pathogens can. Nor can I dispose all those that get left behind in trees, hedges, walls...
Already weíve had one dog rip apart a chicken, and that was a local dog of a friend, who was mortified, but not as mortified as the rest of the chucks who wouldnít come out of the coup for 3 days!
If it comes to it I WILL shoot your beloved pet. I really DONíT want to but, Iím not allowed to shoot the owners....I canít make the signs any clearer and canít put them in dog language, so PLEASE BE A RESPONSIBLE OWNER

porta
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 09:43:49      reply with quote

Fully agree Bee....livestock should be contained, off the public highway, but Iím not talking about the public highways, Iím talking about my land. There are signs instructing dog owners to keep their dogs on leads and to remove their waste, what Iím asking is for folk to follow my instructions instead:
Fobbing me off
Ignoring me or
Being downright abusive
Would you feel the same if I: came up your driveway; let my dogs harass your cat, rabbit, guinae pig; defacate all over your lawn leave it or bag it up and leave it;
And then, if you challenged me, use the excuse that my dog is: Ďfine off leadí; that Ďyou should have fenced off drive if you donít want trespassers oní; we never used to pick up shití; Iíve been going this (ignoring your signs) for yearsí; or my personal favourites from yesterday, Ďwhat you gunna do about ití? and Ďf##k offí
The second remark was from a well spoken women probably in her sixties!

Traveller
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 10:21:13      reply with quote

The trouble with some people today is they have absolutely no respect for anyone or anything. Rules don't apply to them, or so they think. Some walkers think they have a right to do just as they please on farm land or any land for that matter. The canal is an example, where the repair work is being carried out. Closed means nothing just remove barriers and carry on regardless. Blubberhouses is the same people moving bollards to drive through when the sign clearly states road closed. If an accident were to happen they would be the first to complain. As I said respect seems to be a thing of the past.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 14:42:52      reply with quote

posted by porta

I donít care that the track/path is fenced off..

It is actually only illegal for a dog to not be in close control a field containing sheep not a fenced off track.Thats "not in control" which does not mean on a lead.

Not sure why anyone would take a dog into a field containing any farm animals.

These are the rules

Walking with dogs

Since dogs have been taken on highways since time immemorial, itís generally assumed that they can be considered a Ďnatural accompanimentí (a term used in a 19th century court case to describe things which might normally be taken by a walker) and that therefore dogs can be taken on public rights of way.

Thereís no law which says that a dog must be kept on a lead when using a public right of way, but local authorities can make orders under section 27 of the Road Traffic Act 1988 to make it a requirement on specific paths. Like its owner, a dog should remain on the line of the path Ė an act of trespass may be committed against the landowner if it wanders away from the official route.

Walkers with dogs should take particular care when crossing fields where animals are being grazed. Section 1 of the Dogs (Protection of Livestock) Act 1953 makes it an offence for a dog to be at large, Ďthat is to say not on a lead or otherwise under close controlí, in a field or enclosure containing sheep.

Itís also an offence for dogs to attack or chase livestock and farmers are allowed to shoot dogs that are worrying, or are about to worry, farm animals. This is set out in section 9 of the Animals Act 1971, which also states that the farmer isnít liable to compensate the dogís owner in such circumstances.

Despite the fact that a dog is a Ďnatural accompanimentí to users of rights of way, the law doesnít require stiles to be Ďdog friendlyí as itís the dogís keeper who has the right of passage, not the dog. Stiles with Ďdog latchesí can however be provided and can often be seen in popular dog-walking areas.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 15:52:55      reply with quote

Whilst I respect the need for owners to be more conscientious with their dogs around livestock I feel that farmers might get more respect from joe the public when:

1. They look after the animals properly. (Already had to rescue two lambs this year- last week I freed a lamb whoís mouth had become entangled in a farm gate hanging latch to a farm gate.) I also nearly ran down two lambs roaming on a public road yesterday!
2. Stop using unlicensed vehicles on the roads.
3. Stop illegally burning plastics and tyres and polluting the atmosphere and our bodies. (it is noticeable that many do this on bonfire night or on foggy daysÖbut some also do this anytime and think they can get away with it.
4. Stop releasing ammonia gas, from slurries into the atmosphere. This is one of the biggest scandals from the Farming Industry that people should know about; [https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2015/mar/08/air-pollution-agriculture-ammonia-emissions] [https://grist.org/article/a-huge-amount-of-air-pollution-comes-from-farming-not-just-power-plants/]
5. Allow vehicles to pass their slow tractors when on roads.
6. Use their flashing beacon on the tractor cab to warn traffic.
7. Stop illegally spreading muck directly from roads, shooting it onto and over hedges, telegraph poles, gates and wall etc.
8. Respect load weights on bridges. (kildwick canal bridge last year 6 tractors, all in a row, with trailers, all overweight were caught by the police, in waiting).
9. Donít overload trailers or use underpowered tractors or both as this increases atmospheric diesel particulates and increases noise pollution through excessive revving and gear changes.
10. Stop speeding through town centres.
11. Stop illegally carrying children in their tractors; especially without seats!
12. Have respect for local communities, by reducing nighttime activity and noise from their vehicles.
13. Keep their property in good order and fenced where appropriate to keep animals and the public separated.
14. Help to maintain public footpaths that cross their land. (Especially where the land is well trodden by animals creating mud pools! Children want to experience the outdoors too!)
15. Fence off aggressive animals from public footpaths, especially cows with young.
16. Donít also use animals as a means to frightening the public from using a public footpath.
17. They invest in proper land drainage so as not to allow surface water to flood roads!
18. They stop spreading nitrates so intensively onto the land that most of it ends up in water courses, killing fish and wildlife etc.
19. Plant more hedges and trees for wildlife, whilst stop ripping out hedges to reduce wildlife.
20. Realise that being a farmer is a business, just like any other, and that you canít and shouldnít rely on subsidies to keep you afloat.
21. Stop killing badgers and foxes.
22. Employ people on a respectful wage.

porta
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 21:20:13      reply with quote

Oh dear Corky....is it generally all farmers or just the ones you know

I can answer all your points and not one relates to me or my farming activities in fact quite the reverse but letís adress your concerns, just so you and joe public can get things straight and with better understanding:

1. I too spend my time rescuing lambs, theyíre getting horns now and are inquisitive little buggers so always getting their heads caught in stock fencing. As for getting on the road, only wehn some idiot went crashing through our drystone wall and took the gate out, luckily we operate a two gate system, so thereís ALWAYS a safety space, not that that helps if JoePublic leave one of the gates open
2. All our farm vehicles, bar one, are road registered and insured, the one that isnít, doesnít
3. The only bonfires we ever have tend to be social affairs, except wehn weíve cleared old fencing tree stakes, non native plants
4. We, being passionate about the environment, more on that later, only bio compost the old fashioned way, old livestock bedding, manure, hay, grass, straw, weeds all gets rotted down, occasionally limed (natural) and reused. We also rotate, rest and complimentary plant
5. I donít take the fully road legal tractor on the road, except wehn I was clearing snow for neighbours, I even pull over if I have trailer on road going 4x4 if need be (I do accept however, that this is much more common in Scotland and Wales)
6. NA unless clearing snow for neighbours, but then, there was no traffic until I cleared it!
7. As previously stated, we care for the environment and leave a large gap between farming activity and public roads...so no shit Sherlock
8. I agree, upto a point, it is now impossible to get from top to bottom of farnhill kildwick due to increasing amount of cars on the road, parked all the way up and down, many of us work with CART and the Police and it needs a solution, the best advice weíve got is Ďgo via silsden or bradley, Iím sure weíd all enjoy that. There is a solution, but, as ever, itís cost thatís prohibatve (new bridge, different approach and depart angles, road alterations...until then those farmers (not I I hasten to add) have all been advised, nothing more, aswhat else can be done
9. I donít...and some of the big farmers round here have trailers youíd have to fill with lead before you got them overladen, moreover do you know the power output of these tractors, the torque would make a Ferrari cry like a baby
10. I donít, tractors limited to 25 and it doesnít go on the road, stop speeding in the country, Iím sick of rebuilding my walls and gates
11. Many tractors have 2 or even 3 seats now, itís not illegal for children to be aboard tractors, there are very specific times, ages and activities in which there are specific restrictions
12. Make hay whilst the sun shines, donít you just love it wehn folk move to the country, then complain about the smell and the noise, like the idiot who moved to kildwick and wanted the bells to stop at 10pm. I respect my neighbors and they respect me, we help each other out and we love it, and stop our activities if they want to see our livestock, regardless that I may have been up all night lambing
13. I try and keep all my farming equipment, fences and gates in order, it doesnít help wehn Ďjoe publicí climbs gates, straining the hinges and catches, drags down stock fencing, climbs post n rail, leaves gates open, pull stones of drystone walls to fling in canal, stores all their filled poobags everywhere...need I go on?
14. Ours is not a public footpath, ours is an a right of access to cross, it is well maintained, except wehn flood washed it away, and it is a right that can be withdrawn from individuals...it is NOT a means to access the rest of the farm to, so far this year, have a barbecue, fly a kite (really clever wehn thereís 33KV powerlines, fly drones, go shooting, paddle in beckside (nowhere near the track), dispose of your MacDonalds and beer cans etc etc
15. Aggressiveness in animals such as cattle is usually due to fear, as I previously posted, I was told to Ďf##k offí wehn I told a woman, whoís dog was running up and down the fence barking itís head off at nextdoors cattle!
16. Yeah...my sheep are real scary... itís not an alligator farm...I did want a hyena ((yes really)) but I canít
17. Wehn we had the bad December floods the storm drains on the road above us were overwhelmed, the water from the roads, and all the varn conversions, was directed down OUR track, the drainage channels could not hold together and our track was undermined and washed away!
18. We donít, see above as to our bio-nutrition and bio-security
19. ...following on from the Ďmore on that laterí we have planted more than 5000 native trees and shrubs, reintroduced and added to the hedgerows. Weíve not Ďripped outí any. We have worked with the woodland trust, Bradford forests and several EU sources to establish the best habitats, we also have documented rare species of bat, moth and a newt, not to mention being home to native crayfish, breeding otter, kingfisher, tawny little and barn owls (rare to have all three), as well as five types of tit, three finch, jays, crows, blackbird, robin, wren, lapwing, curlew, mistle and song thrush, loads of butterflies, invertebrates (showing extremely good soil health)
We have a great environmental report
20. Subsidies....hahaha...how cheap do you want your milk, bread and meat, do you want us to be peasants. We get NOTHING from this government, Iíll show you my defra paperwork, the little we do get is costed, identified at source and shows you the perctage...£1120 per year at 90%, contribution 0% Uk gíment 100% EU
A single travelling salesman gets more in tax relief, and other gíment Ďsubsidiesí (car, dry cleaning bills, phone, computer) and donít get me started on politicians
21. You read the wrong guardian, stats published by farmers guardian, 75% of farmers donít believe badgers responsible for TB and DONT allow shooting, gassing, trapping. Foxes are more mixed responses, however, I DONT allow any hunting, shooting, trapping on our land, wehn the fox wiped our all our previous chickens, I blamed MYSELF, for not making orchard more fox proof
22. I donít even pay myself...weíre not all tight bísards who always look like we lost a pound and nobody but my daughter (grudgingly) would work through lambing for minimum wage whilst studying for her degree

So, to sum up...donít generalise about farmers, just like you, joe public, thereís good uns n bad Uns, we donít get loads of grants, subsidies etc, ALL our meagre grant goes on improving the natural environment and our livestock has the highest welfare standards, completely way out of the league of the Ďred tractorí nonesense and, we only do native rare breeds...and back to the point so if your dog injures/ worries i have a great personal and emotional attachment, and joe public is as guilty at ruining a farms bio-security, such as ours by trespass, dog fouling and hunting...all I ask is some respect and responsibility NOT an argument or non related counter argument

porta
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 22:09:05      reply with quote

Sorry gazzer meant also to respond to you, the laws/restrictions on access were amended and enacted October 2017, note the bit which states dogs HAVE to be on a lead in the vicinity of livestock, they donít even have to be in the same field
.....from the Law Society via our solicitor:
The extent of the right

The right allows the public to enter and remain on any access land for the purposes of open-air recreation as long as they do so without breaking or damaging any wall, fence, hedge, stile or gate and as long as they observe certain other restrictions.

If a person fails to observe these conditions or restrictions they are treated as a trespasser and are prohibited from going on the land or land owned by the same person.

Exclusions and restrictions on public access

There are some general restrictions on the use of access land. These are as follows:

the right of access is confined to access by foot (there are exceptions for invalid carriages and for vessels and sailboards on tidal waters);
the right of access includes the right to be accompanied by a dog but not by any other type of animal. However, between 1 March and 31 July dogs must be kept on a short lead (of not more than 2 metres) and dogs must also be kept on a short lead whatever the time of year if they are in the vicinity of livestock;
there is no right to commit a criminal offence;
there is no right to light or tend a fire or do any act which is likely to cause a fire;
intentionally or recklessly taking, killing, injuring or disturbing an animal, bird or fish is prohibited;
intentionally or recklessly taking, damaging or destroying an egg or nest is prohibited;
feeding livestock is prohibited;
bathing in non-tidal water is prohibited;
hunting, shooting, fishing, trapping, snaring, taking and destroying animals, birds and fish is prohibited as is having any engine, instrument or apparatus for such purposes;
using or having a metal detector is prohibited;
intentionally removing, damaging and destroying plants, shrubs, trees and roots and parts of the same is prohibited;
obstructing the flow of a drain or watercourse or opening, shutting or interfering with a sluice-gate or other apparatus is prohibited;
interfering with a fence, barrier or other device designed to prevent accidents to people or to enclose livestock, without reasonable excuse, is prohibited;
there is a requirement to shut any gates and to fasten them where any means of doing so as provided, except where it is reasonable to assume that a gate is intended to be left open;
affixing or writing an advertisement, bill, placard or notice is prohibited;
intimidating, disturbing and annoying other people who are engaging in or are about to engage in a lawful activity or obstructing or disrupting that activity is prohibited;
engaging in any organised games, camping, hang-gliding and para-gliding is prohibited;
engaging in any activity which is organised or undertaken for any commercial purpose is prohibited.
Landowners and occupiers can, subject to certain exceptions, exclude or restrict public access to their land

tetleydrinker
Website Member

Website Member

04/06/2018 : 22:54:04      reply with quote

Great response Porta

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 00:16:31      reply with quote

posted by tetleydrinker
Great response Porta

Why thankyou
Itís usually the wife thatís diplomatic

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 06:30:50      reply with quote

In football terms, it is 22-0 to porta after 90 minutes, just hope the referee blows the whistle soon.
And Traveller comments about lack of respect are very true, welcome to modern Britain, sadly....

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 07:59:59      reply with quote

this post has been edited 4 time(s)

posted by porta
Sorry gazzer meant also to respond to you, the laws/restrictions on access were amended and enacted October 2017, note the bit which states dogs HAVE to be on a lead in the vicinity of livestock, they donít even have to be in the same field
.....from the Law Society via our solicitor:
The extent of the right

The right allows the public to enter and remain on any access land for the purposes of open-air recreation as long as they do so without breaking or damaging any wall, fence, hedge, stile or gate and as long as they observe certain other restrictions.

If a person fails to observe these conditions or restrictions they are treated as a trespasser and are prohibited from going on the land or land owned by the same person.

Exclusions and restrictions on public access

There are some general restrictions on the use of access land. These are as follows:

the right of access is confined to access by foot (there are exceptions for invalid carriages and for vessels and sailboards on tidal waters);
the right of access includes the right to be accompanied by a dog but not by any other type of animal. However, between 1 March and 31 July dogs must be kept on a short lead (of not more than 2 metres) and dogs must also be kept on a short lead whatever the time of year if they are in the vicinity of livestock;
there is no right to commit a criminal offence;
there is no right to light or tend a fire or do any act which is likely to cause a fire;
intentionally or recklessly taking, killing, injuring or disturbing an animal, bird or fish is prohibited;
intentionally or recklessly taking, damaging or destroying an egg or nest is prohibited;
feeding livestock is prohibited;
bathing in non-tidal water is prohibited;
hunting, shooting, fishing, trapping, snaring, taking and destroying animals, birds and fish is prohibited as is having any engine, instrument or apparatus for such purposes;
using or having a metal detector is prohibited;
intentionally removing, damaging and destroying plants, shrubs, trees and roots and parts of the same is prohibited;
obstructing the flow of a drain or watercourse or opening, shutting or interfering with a sluice-gate or other apparatus is prohibited;
interfering with a fence, barrier or other device designed to prevent accidents to people or to enclose livestock, without reasonable excuse, is prohibited;
there is a requirement to shut any gates and to fasten them where any means of doing so as provided, except where it is reasonable to assume that a gate is intended to be left open;
affixing or writing an advertisement, bill, placard or notice is prohibited;
intimidating, disturbing and annoying other people who are engaging in or are about to engage in a lawful activity or obstructing or disrupting that activity is prohibited;
engaging in any organised games, camping, hang-gliding and para-gliding is prohibited;
engaging in any activity which is organised or undertaken for any commercial purpose is prohibited.
Landowners and occupiers can, subject to certain exceptions, exclude or restrict public access to their land
Sorry I was talking about Public Rights of Way and not Public Access Land that this describes.The only land that what you describe is up around The Nab.Any other field a dog walker is allowed on is a Right of Way with its different laws as I posted and obviously walkers must stick to the path or they are trespassing.Im guessing yours is a permissive path which again is different and you can put a notice up with conditions on such as "Dogs must be kept on leads".I applaud you for allowing people permission to use the path and people should respect any rules you insist on.We had such a path and needed signs and had to close it for one day a year(Xmas day) so it did not become a right of way under the 20 year rule.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 09:14:20      reply with quote

As expected there is nothing on Bradford Councils website but Hampshire Council in association with The Kennel Club offer good advice

documents.hants.gov.uk/countryside/dogsonyourland.pdf

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 11:01:49      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
As expected there is nothing on Bradford Councils website but Hampshire Council in association with The Kennel Club offer good advice

It is on Bradford site, I donít know how to post links, but itís a faff to find
Dogs on leads is now mandatory where livestock are in the vicinity (and at times for nesting birds which says short leash, it can be a long leash at other times) only exceptions are, land owners dogs (as working dogs) working dogs with the owner having to have permission on land owner (or where applicable, trust, charity, parks authority, management, and dogs used by emergency/rescue services

I confirmed this with both WY and NY Police last month.
They also combined wehn both forces came to our aid wehn two scroats came on land armed with a terrier, shovels and a shotgun November 2015. Prompt response wehn guns touted, itís also wehn they warned me Ďnot to sort it out myselfí

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 11:10:22      reply with quote

posted by dexter
In football terms, it is 22-0 to porta after 90 minutes, just hope the referee blows the whistle soon.
And Traveller comments about lack of respect are very true, welcome to modern Britain, sadly....
Nicest folk Iíve met so far is an Asian family who stood for an hour at gate, waiting to catch our attention, just so they could ask us what sheep we had as theyíre never seen ours before. So invited them in for a tour, the kids were extremely polite, interested and the parents couldnít have been more grateful
solid wood flooring

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 11:12:24      reply with quote

posted by dexter
You mean RL, I donít follow that other game where you get stretchered off with a broken nail or canít play as theyíve a shaving rash on their legs

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 11:19:17      reply with quote

posted by porta
Oh dear Corky....is it generally all farmers or just the ones you know

I can answer all your points and not one relates to me or my farming activities in fact quite the reverse but letís adress your concerns, just so you and joe public can get things straight and with better understanding:

So, to sum up...donít generalise about farmers, just like you, joe public, thereís good uns n bad Uns, we donít get loads of grants, subsidies etc, ALL our meagre grant goes on improving the natural environment and our livestock has the highest welfare standards, completely way out of the league of the Ďred tractorí nonesense and, we only do native rare breeds...and back to the point so if your dog injures/ worries i have a great personal and emotional attachment, and joe public is as guilty at ruining a farms bio-security, such as ours by trespass, dog fouling and hunting...all I ask is some respect and responsibility NOT an argument or non related counter argument

What a waste of time writing such nonsense !

I did not write it specifically aimed at you; Yes i wrote it generally because these are issues which people see and experience daily and have real concerns about that significantly affect their lives. These issues donít paint a good picture about farmers and landowners thatís for sure..and yes dog owners arenít perfect either and need to take more responsibility.
I gave you respect by acknowledging your case, where as you havent given any respect to the points i wrote. You have deliberately thought these points to be a case to almost laugh at, belittle or demean!

Everyone reading my points will likley read them and have recognition with them. Some points they may not even realise how serious they are to human and animal health. Hopefully they do now. We rely on farmers to produce goods fit for human health, yet some of those points i mentioned have detrimental impact on the food chain, and contaminate our bodies through pollution. This is happening regularly, almost daily around Silsden.
Farmers and landowners are not as clean as you appear to paint.

You might also wish to review some of your points as many...yes many appear to be wildly untrue.
For example: www.hse.gov.uk/agriculture/topics/children.htm

I might speak generally but for most it is backed up with ...a least a little truth!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 11:43:50      reply with quote

posted by porta
posted by gazzer

It is on Bradford site, I donít know how to post links, but itís a faff to find
Dogs on leads is now mandatory where livestock are in the vicinity (and at times for nesting birds which says short leash, it can be a long leash at other times) only exceptions are, land owners dogs (as working dogs) working dogs with the owner having to have permission on land owner (or where applicable, trust, charity, parks authority, management, and dogs used by emergency/rescue services

I confirmed this with both WY and NY Police last month.
They also combined wehn both forces came to our aid wehn two scroats came on land armed with a terrier, shovels and a shotgun November 2015. Prompt response wehn guns touted, itís also wehn they warned me Ďnot to sort it out myselfí
Just to repeat there is no law that requires dogs to be on a lead on a PUBLIC RIGHT of WAY although they must be under close control

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 11:56:20      reply with quote

That Ďwaste of timeí was in answer to your generalised comments, which were WAY off the topic and accurate.
You donít know my farm, Iím happy to show you around Iím here all the time, I make no excuses for farmers, just the ones I know (some of which are Ďtraditionalí in their views on wildlife) and...best of all, you donít know me, Iím a chartered member of IOSH so donít preach H&S to me as I looked after everything from highways, parks and countryside, construction and child protection and safety, if youíd like to reference my membership, hereís my number Iíd be happy to send it privately. Also, chartered status is NOT one you can buy, you have to be fully qualified to degree standard, maintain those qualifications AND be judged by a panel of my peers.

Our stewardship of this land and any fauna and fauna, including livestock has been used as an exemplar, our meat goes to a Michelin starred chef, (featured in local and national media), it does NOT routinely get stuffed full of chemicals (individual animals are only treated if they need it), they are not fattened up and dispatched as fast as possible (we sell hoggit and mutton not lamb), stools are tested by vets to monitor pathogens, we donít put stuff down if itís injured (we currently have one 3 legged shearling and a tup in plaster) we donít despatch them wehn they become unproductive (we let them live out their lives as conservation grazers) and...our stock is so well respected (and bloodlines distinct) that weíre about to take Ďcoals to Newcastleí, by being asked to introducing some of our breeding stock to their ancestral home!

The only waste of time I can see is bothering to answer your points as succinctly as possible

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 12:28:10      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

as usual on theses threads its turned into handbags at 10 paces,or in rugby terms sacks of coal 'happy :)'); come on grandad come back and av your say i think u will still be monitoring this site 'wink ;)');

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 12:31:16      reply with quote

posted by dogcatcher
as usual on this site its turned into handbags at 10 paces,or in rugby terms sacks of coal 'happy :)');
Whoops, sorry youíre right...Iíll agree to disagree...Iím happy to show anyone around if youíre genuinely interested...although itís the wife whoís Ďthe faceí....

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 13:14:37      reply with quote

I have e-mailed Bradford Council to ask if there has been a change to the law regarding dogs on leads on public rights of way. The reply is Bradford Council are not aware of any change.

In a nutshell if your dog is on a public right of way in a field with livestock keep it on a lead.It must be in close control at all other times.
If your dog is on public access land it must be on a short lead between 1st March and 31st July or at any other time in the vicinity of livestock*.
*There is no legal definition of "vicinity of livestock" but its not difficult to work out
If you are on a permissive path obey all signs that give permissions.
In all cases clean up after your dog

The majority of dog owners are responsible but there are some who should not be allowed to keep dogs

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 13:28:47      reply with quote

Spot on Gazzer, nesting season and vicinity, confirmed by local Police and Police districts wildlife office, they would consider vicinity as: can be seen by regardless of fencing and access. Law hasnít really changed since 1950ís, however, lots of amendments since then, including the one I alluded to in Oct last year regarding specifics of leads and times should be used. Laws/Regulations are often amended through years, itís only if there is Ďsubstantial changeí where they go through repeal/replacement. There are also local bylaws and restrictions/limitations through other bodies such as: English Heritage; National Parks Authority; the Church etc

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 14:07:12      reply with quote

posted by porta
That Ďwaste of timeí was in answer to your generalised comments, which were WAY off the topic and accurate.
You donít know my farm, Iím happy to show you around Iím here all the time, I make no excuses for farmers, just the ones I know (some of which are Ďtraditionalí in their views on wildlife) and...best of all, you donít know me, Iím a chartered member of IOSH so donít preach H&S to me as I looked after everything from highways, parks and countryside, construction and child protection and safety, if youíd like to reference my membership, hereís my number Iíd be happy to send it privately. Also, chartered status is NOT one you can buy, you have to be fully qualified to degree standard, maintain those qualifications AND be judged by a panel of my peers.

Our stewardship of this land and any fauna and fauna, including livestock has been used as an exemplar, our meat goes to a Michelin starred chef, (featured in local and national media), it does NOT routinely get stuffed full of chemicals (individual animals are only treated if they need it), they are not fattened up and dispatched as fast as possible (we sell hoggit and mutton not lamb), stools are tested by vets to monitor pathogens, we donít put stuff down if itís injured (we currently have one 3 legged shearling and a tup in plaster) we donít despatch them wehn they become unproductive (we let them live out their lives as conservation grazers) and...our stock is so well respected (and bloodlines distinct) that weíre about to take Ďcoals to Newcastleí, by being asked to introducing some of our breeding stock to their ancestral home!

The only waste of time I can see is bothering to answer your points as succinctly as possible

I wasnít way off topic, because my point was that it seems okay for you to say one thing (with relevance) but then when it comes down to it there are many more relevant and more important issues that folk are subjected to by farmers that far outweigh your issue.
Yes kill dogs that are unruly, but that is small fry compared to polluting our air and environment with nitrogen and ammonia and other plastics..amongst other things that many farmers do..around here! All these are released into the rural atmosphere and urban atmosphere or food chains.
I havent preached to you about H&S, you said something very clearly wrong; If you are a professional of some kind that you say you are then unfortunately you need to do some CPD as your facts are clearly well outdated.
Do you want me to point out the mistakes in your other points too?

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 14:07:32      reply with quote

posted by porta
Spot on Gazzer, nesting season and vicinity, confirmed by local Police and Police districts wildlife office, they would consider vicinity as: can be seen by regardless of fencing and access. Law hasnít really changed since 1950ís, however, lots of amendments since then, including the one I alluded to in Oct last year regarding specifics of leads and times should be used. Laws/Regulations are often amended through years, itís only if there is Ďsubstantial changeí where they go through repeal/replacement. There are also local bylaws and restrictions/limitations through other bodies such as: English Heritage; National Parks Authority; the Church etc
There is a massive difference between public rights of ways,permissive paths and public access land but people think of land as open land.Can blame that on Public Access Land being referred to as "right to roam".

The 2006 Animal Wefare Act means you have to exercise your dog so can exhibit its normal behaviour patterns which includes running free.

You come across as a sensible land owner and if landowners and dog owners work together there will not be many problems

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 16:46:32      reply with quote

Dear god

Curly-Wurly is clearly on one...

Children and farms, lots of rules n regs. Plant and machinery, age specific AND depends on road, land and activity....also wether they are being instructed in its use and/or safety.. tractors, quad bikes, tracked as opposed to wheeled...
Chemicals, pathogens, substances, not only is it age specific/restrictive, it is also gender specific eg development of organs, child bearing (ability, unless you know better is restricted to females)...

Thatís where your risk assessment comes in and, as most folk seem to forget on risk assessment, the cognative ability to understand...after all, itís no good trying to explain to an immature or cocksure person, it would be like banging your head against a brick wall !!!!

No more now as Iíve got real work to do...you can carry on without me, if you must

As an aside...Cheers Gazzer, I know, confusing sometimes but like you say, responsibility and respect and, I have to say, has to come from me also...except with some folk

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 22:01:39      reply with quote

Out for a walk.
It is currently 21:57 and illegal burning is being carried out beside a public footpath. Heavy/thick black smoke pouring from a steel incinerator. Particularly obnoxious smell.
Toxins being given off and will be entring the food chain and we are breathing it in.
Farm Off Woodside Road.

They will be reported.

...and i was saying??

porta
Website Member

Website Member

05/06/2018 : 22:19:56      reply with quote

It ainít me

So thankful youíre so public spirited, didnít think youíd be out so late, wehn do you get time to document all this surveillance....youíre not related to Richard Briers character in Ďever decreasing circlesí are you?

4 owners of dogs off leads, all politely reminded, one waited till out of sight and dog ran back to barn
Found one disposable barbecue, used, burnt grass and both a pollutant and trap hazard
Three perfectly good, substantial holly trees, now dying as been hacked to death in run up to christmas
Caught two folks picking bluebells and some delicate pink flower, apparently Ďthereís plenty so a few wonít be missedí

Just saying....

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

06/06/2018 : 21:20:59      reply with quote

Not actually illegal to pick bluebells (and many other wildflowers) depending on where they are growing, so long as you don't dig up the bulbs, and you aren't selling what you pick. Just saying.

Replies in this thread : 34

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > General Forum > Dog walkers  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to