Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Does anyone care about a gridlocked Silsden?

Replies in this thread : 26

Author

Topic : Does anyone care about a gridlocked Silsden?

randa
Website Member

Website Member

03/12/2017 : 20:34:26      reply with quote

Just checked the Bradford planning portal on the new school. The deadline is 7th Dec. So far there are 23 comments. Do the other 8,300 (2011 survey) Silsden residents not care that their town will be gridlocked by school traffic for an hour twice a day? No Highways Report - minimum 100 vehicles turning right off Bolton Road onto Dale View twice a day. Chaos, and it seems no-one can find ten minutes to register their comments. I tried to form an Apathy Society many years ago but no-one could be bothered to join. This takes me back.
click for more information

victor
Website Member

Website Member

03/12/2017 : 21:18:50      reply with quote

I don't think people on Bolton road, Dale view, Fletcher ave or Banklands lane realise or don't know what effect this school will have on them.

randa
Website Member

Website Member

03/12/2017 : 21:48:26      reply with quote

It's not just Dale View etc, Cars will not be able to get onto Bolton Road/Kirkgate due to backed up queues from Dale View, gridlocking most of Silsden. Get on the Bradford planning portal and object.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

03/12/2017 : 23:08:44      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have put my objections onto the planning portal. There is far too much information to summarise it here, so if you want to read my views you will have to look on the planning portal.

To see the plans and other documents use this link
planning.bradford.gov.uk/online-applications/

and on the page search for planning application number
17/05793/REG

hat
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 08:34:48      reply with quote

i don't think the vast majority of residents even know these plans exist, or if they do they believe it won't impact them because either they don't have kids or they don't live near the proposed site. At the town council meeting which discussed this application there were barely any parents present so i'd love to know what information has been made available to them through the school management.

this is literally a once in a generation chance to get a much needed asset for the town yet we are sleepwalking towards accepting the cheapest possible solution being offered by a council who just wants to tick the 'infrastructure' box so that they can move forward with the overall development plan for the area

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 12:51:50      reply with quote

I believe it is total apathy!!

Like others have said also...people havent been told what the main real issue is: that of traffic/access.

Apathy was also the face of the Town Council at the Town Hall meeting!

It appears, like them, that folk have just given up.

The Town Council should have put up a banner on the high street for all to see.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 15:36:35      reply with quote

Maybe most people are glad to have a modern new school, with better facilities for their children. For an hour or so each day there may be more traffic in a different part of town, but no change on a weekend, bank holiday, or for 13 weeks a year when the school is on holiday. Nowhere in town would be perfect to put a new school, it's easy to find faults with any scheme.
Let's be happy for the children who will be in a brand new school for a change, got to be better than what they have now. A bit of inconvenience is a small price to pay. "Gridlock" is overstating the problem.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 16:07:05      reply with quote

Couldn't the so called apathy, be an indication of the acceptance by the majority of the community to the proposed planning application.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 19:26:16      reply with quote

posted by midway
Couldn't the so called apathy, be an indication of the acceptance by the majority of the community to the proposed planning application.
They can't see the bulldozers.

Of the objections that have been registered on the planning portal, not one promotes the new school as it being ideal location. However, all state they are unhappy with the prospect of traffic chaos and congestion. There is definitely an east / west divide on the objections posted with the majority of objections being from residents on the east side of Kirkgate.

There isn't one comment in support of the proposed new school on the planning portal comments. There isn't a Highways Report either, so expect their solution, when it is published, to be traffic lights everywhere.

The traffic situation WILL affect those that live on the west side, if you haven't got a car to take your child to school then be prepared for a long, long walk twice a day and it's not flat. With perhaps other children in tow and bad weather you may have wished you made more of an effort to get this project right?

Even if you drive your child to school it will take some time with the one way gyratory system proposed, but of course you will park at the top of Daisy Hill or at the top of the park and walk from there - BUT SO WILL EVERYONE. There is no parking provision at these points.

If you haven't got a child of primary age then about 300+ car all trying to get in of the school for 9am and 3pm via Kirkgate and Bolton Road will soon make you just a little frustrated when the through route becomes gridlocked.

That's apathy for you!

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 19:44:10      reply with quote

So where would you build the school Peter?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 20:56:35      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I have put my objections onto the planning portal. There is far too much information to summarise it here, so if you want to read my views you will have to look on the planning portal.

posted by Peter

To see the plans and other documents use this link
planning.bradford.gov.uk/online-applications/

and on the page search for planning application number
17/05793/REG

midway
Website Member

Website Member

04/12/2017 : 23:04:56      reply with quote

Well yes I've read that, and very thorough it is, but where would you put the new school ( Peter ).

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2017 : 10:16:48      reply with quote

posted by midway
Well yes I've read that, and very thorough it is, but where would you put the new school ( Peter ).
At no point have I said the school should not be there (I don't think there is any other choice and there are a lot of problems with the actual site), BUT what I have said is:

The location is unsuitable not only because of access but also because it is only local for 50% of the population of Silsden.

The proposed school is too large 640 pupils on one site with the prospect of 860 pupils. Can you imagine when it is a 4 form entry and 120 5 year olds in one place!

The location is more suitable for a secondary school.

The solution - make the new school smaller and retain either Hothfield Street or Aireview. The existing school location would serve children from the west of Kirkgate, the new school children from the east of Kirkgate.

A happy school is not made by facilities but by the teachers - our children deserve better than the solution proposed.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2017 : 12:55:03      reply with quote

i would put it on the old weavestyle site off keighley road. this site appears to have a number of advantages:
1. it reuses an existing brown site with no current planned development
2. access is directly off keighley road with no impact on residential streets
3. it has direct access to existing sports facilities
4. it keeps the school within walking distance for far more families than the proposed site.
5. it's adjacent to the sykes lane and belton road housing developments
6. it preserves silsden's green borders

Listener
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2017 : 13:44:44      reply with quote

I could not agree more `hat` but being involved through the football club we were told the C02 levels were too high to house a school.

Then lo and behold outline planning was given for around 200 family homes not to mention the 200+ Barratt homes even nearer the bi pass!

hat
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2017 : 14:11:11      reply with quote

i think the Co2 levels were nothing more than a smoke screen laugh :D especially given that there are calls to build a road directly behind the proposed school to take traffic to/ from bolton road

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2017 : 15:01:40      reply with quote

posted by hat
i would put it on the old weavestyle site off keighley road. this site appears to have a number of advantages:
1. it reuses an existing brown site with no current planned development
2. access is directly off keighley road with no impact on residential streets
3. it has direct access to existing sports facilities
4. it keeps the school within walking distance for far more families than the proposed site.
5. it's adjacent to the sykes lane and belton road housing developments
6. it preserves silsden's green borders
Weavestyle is currently being added to flood warning area

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

05/12/2017 : 18:56:01      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Gazzer is right the old Weaverstyle Factory site is now classed as being at flood risk.

However; with the right designers on board the risk of flooding to buildings and property can be designed out, or at least minimised. The playing fields created would still be able to act as flood attenuation...just as the other sports clubs grounds operate further down.

Have you all thought how come nobody has developed on the Weaverstyle site recently or put in an application for that site?

It has nothing to do with flood risks or Co2 levels.

The fact is nobody wants to build on a brownfield site due to the clean up cost..Itís as simple as that.
Bradford including!!

Brownfield sites should always be the first sites allowed to develop on before any Ďfield' sites should be looked at.

It is perfectly feasible to put a school on that site.

It is clear to me that Bradford cannot be arsed to make communities work. The siting of the proposed new school, may have been okay thirty years or so ago..but for todays requirements the site is not appropriate as it will decimate our community through itís wider environmental impact.
If you dont care about the community you live in and are happy to wait in long traffic, then post in favour of the school proposal; however if you are concerned about the traffic in Silsden and that you dont want it to get significantly worse by the ill siting of the school and itís access then make your comments known on the planning portal. You have one day remaining.

Otherworld
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 15:31:51      reply with quote

How did anybody manage to cover all the problems with the proposed site without being timed out?
I eventually managed to have my say, but most of my comments seem to have been lost in cyberspace.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 15:44:39      reply with quote

So as not to be timed out, they do recommend you copy / cut and paste.

hat
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 16:38:44      reply with quote

yep, typed it out in Word & then copied it onto the planning portal
solid wood flooring

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

06/12/2017 : 18:00:42      reply with quote

It also recommends you use notepad. If you use word and paste from word there will be some hidden formatting can cause problems. The way round this is to cut n paste into notepad and paste from there.

I would recommend reading David Loud's comments on the planning portal, but also download the suggested alternative access plans. There is a link within the text.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

08/12/2017 : 10:13:35      reply with quote

Well, the deadline to put public comments on the planning portal has now officially passed, but don't let that put you off making a comment, or if fact an additional comment on the portal. You can make comments right up to the day the panel meets to discuss this application. There is still NO HIGHWAYS REPORT, and you would think there would be some sort of statement from the education department, but sadly no!

Looking at the comments, there isn't one comment in favour of the scheme as it's proposed. All state the access and egress from the site is not workable and in fact would be dangerous for all using the school because vehicles and pedestrians are not separated.

All stated the traffic plans as they stood would cause traffic gridlock in Silsden at school times morning and night.

For many the school would be too far to walk to and this goes against government policy to encourage walking and cycling. Those that know the site have stated the ground is very wet during the winter months and there are flooding fears for those houses downstream of the site.

Many question the actual consultation which took place and the cavalier attitude adopted by Bradford. There is a question of how the school building will blend in with the surrounding conservation area - we were promised a stone clad building and it looks like Bradford want to give us a bog standard off-the-shelf suburban school.

Let's hope Bradford listen to our comments and actually consult us before forcing this project on us.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

08/12/2017 : 12:30:29      reply with quote

I fear that this might be the start of a long campaign!
Bradford have already spent money putting in the ground the electricity cables.
They have to come up with a better access arrangement if they want it to go ahead.
I wonder if they are/were hoping to get away with the FORE report as the Highways report.
Having been up to the proposal site today then down to the present school, I noticed there is a distinct difference in temperature.
There must be at least a couple of degrees difference in this exposed spot. Deffinitely not great for kids playing out.
I know kids are tough but i doubt kids would want to hang out up there.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

08/12/2017 : 13:59:40      reply with quote

CorkyYorky..... maybe the decreased pollution at the new site location will offset the more bracing climate for the children. Good rural fresh air? Getting desperate for objections?

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

08/12/2017 : 17:06:36      reply with quote

posted by dexter
CorkyYorky..... maybe the decreased pollution at the new site location will offset the more bracing climate for the children. Good rural fresh air? Getting desperate for objections?
I think your missing the point Dexter..their is unlikley to be any rural fresh air:
with all the cars lined along the school and access road, engines on, waiting to pick up and dropping off the kids!

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

08/12/2017 : 18:34:41      reply with quote

CorkyYorky.. are those cars going to be there all day? No way, maybe an hour or so! Anyway, lets just agree to disagree... get the kettle on...

Replies in this thread : 26

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Does anyone care about a gridlocked Silsden?  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2017

webenquiries to