Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Dentist

Replies in this thread : 7

Author

Topic : Dentist

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

01/11/2017 : 16:33:57      reply with quote

This is to let all you folk know what is happening to dental services!

I have been enlisted at a private dental practice for NHS treatment for about four years: that is until yesterday!
When I turned up for treatment I was told that the practice would no longer provide me with NHS treatment.

Obviously I was shocked by this, and pretty angry to say the least as I believe I had been a pretty good patient and found all services very good.

I asked if they were removing me from their books and they said no. By this time the dentist was pretty blushed and found the conversation awkward.

But not as much as me!

Anyhow after about twenty minutes of very awkward discussion It transpires that this is what is happening to our services.

Private practices who took on NHS patients are are given quotas by the NHS.
For each bit of treatment to an NHS patient the dentist is awarded points (UDA’s).
When their given quota has been fulfilled the Dentist does not get paid by the NHS.
If they continue NHS treatment and you pay the NHS price..the cost goes straight into the NHS pocket and the Dentist gets nothing.

So thus: Dentists are now pushing their NHS patients away as to them you are no longer cost effective.

Legally they are not supposed to do that. If I took up the case would I want to go back to the dentist that caused me this trouble?
You may strangely find that many private dentists are also keen to take on children (these are free by law anyhow)!
There is a benefit to them: YOU, the parents will likely utilise their services. (this is what the dentist told me)

Finally, as you can see, private dentist practices are not as caring like you would expect them to be.

I find private Dentist’s put greed for money over cost effective care. To me they are destroying the NHS.

The private practice I went to happily took on NHS patients when they weren’t making a lot of money, but are keen to push you out the door when they are doing well.

In the practice I went to they have now opened another practice elsewhere (local!)

It’s funny how this morning the government have mentioned how dentists have been raking it in by making false claims of work on NHS patients.

Our Dentistry services are a shambles, being two tear, and appear to be run by nothing more than thieves.

People should not be facing a choice between debt and pain.
click for more information

midway
Website Member

Website Member

01/11/2017 : 19:30:33      reply with quote

A well written piece of a complicated situation, thank you Corky Yorky. I now understand why both the wife and myself had to pay for our treatment last time we went.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2017 : 09:19:41      reply with quote

Please can you clarify a point on this one.
If a patient is registered with a dentist but only goes occasionally then the dentist will still get paid, but one that goes regularly i.e. every six months as recommended; will use up the bit where the dentist get the most money, and be removed from the practise?

Marrywell
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2017 : 14:26:31      reply with quote

I was of the understanding that if you didn't visit your NHS dentist every 6 months you would be removed. Am I incorrect?

BarryT
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2017 : 15:16:19      reply with quote

posted by Marrywell
I was of the understanding that if you didn't visit your NHS dentist every 6 months you would be removed. Am I incorrect?
I have been to my dentist in Keighley this morning and asked if I could change to my check ups from 6 months to yearly.

No problem at all, apart from remembering Friday 2nd November 2018 is my next appointment.

If I miss one appointment they would write to me and I would have to pay, if I do not pay I am removed from the practice and the NHS could chase me for the payment of the missed appointment.

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

02/11/2017 : 15:26:45      reply with quote

You have to be careful. There is obviously a clear distinction between a full NHS practice that is run by a private company and one that is private but takes on NHS patients.

It is my understanding, whichever type, they both have Uda Quotas to attain. However talking to others I believe that the former will continue to provide a service to you irrespective of them going over their quota as they are a committed to provide a full NHS service. For latter (private with NHS patients) they, as in my case are abusing their commitment; and likely getting away from it. In my case I was told I couldn’t be treated as a NHS patient because they had gone over their UdA quota and thus would not get paid from the NHS. So I was told I would have to pay privately should I go again!

DoubleD
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2017 : 11:16:06      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

I go for check ups and have had the odd filling so I haven’t really had to go in depth about the ins and outs of how NHS dentistry work is funded.

I pay for my check ups which is around £20, I assume this goes to the dentist? Also if I had more intrusive work I guess that I’d pay a capped amount and the NHS would cover the rest as the dentist needs to earn his/her crust and is highly skilled and paid as such? Correct me if I’m wrong.

From a layman’s point of view reading the original post then surely it’s the system that is at fault and not the dentist? If I ran a business and entered an agreement with someone (nhs or otherwise) to provide a service on an as required basis then you’d want to be paid for works carried out wouldn’t you? If the other party said “right you do me the service but I’m not paying you after X amount” then you’d either stop work at X amount or not enter into the contract in the first place.

Do the NHS pay above the odds to the dentist to make the work before the quota runs out lucrative enough to offset any works above the quota? They are a business so have to turn a profit at the end of the day. I realise dentists will be on a good salary but they’ve worked for it so deserve to be paid for the hours they work.

Regards,

DoubleD

Corky Yorky
Website Member

Website Member

03/11/2017 : 14:23:57      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by DoubleD

"I pay for my check ups which is around £20, I assume this goes to the dentist?”

If you have work done on the NHS then you are paying the NHS. If it is private treatment then it directly goes to the Dentist’s pocket.

"Also if I had more intrusive work I guess that I’d pay a capped amount and the NHS would cover the rest as the dentist needs to earn his/her crust and is highly skilled and paid as such? Correct me if I’m wrong.”

I think this is wrong. The NHS provides a list of services with costs. The costs depends on which band the treatment is under. The cost on the NHS for a check up (band 1) is £20.60, this is the same as an x-ray or scale and polish.
Band 2 covers all of Band 1 plus root canal work, fillings and extractions etc..

"From a layman’s point of view reading the original post then surely it’s the system that is at fault and not the dentist? If I ran a business and entered an agreement with someone (nhs or otherwise) to provide a service on an as required basis then you’d want to be paid for works carried out wouldn’t you? If the other party said “right you do me the service but I’m not paying you after X amount” then you’d either stop work at X amount or not enter into the contract in the first place.”

The fact is any business has to do their sums before entering any agreement. When my dentist took on NHS patients he knew what contract he was getting into. The contract is for one year at a time and each quota is for each dentist that the NHS would allow. The contract allows for the dentist to take on NHS patients. If that dentist takes on too many patients or treatments are intensive (higher up the band scale) then that eats into each dentist’s quota.
When the quta has been used up the dentist simply doesn’t get paid for the treatment.
That may on the face of it seem unfair to the dentist but remember the dentist entered a legally bound contract to treat NHS patients for the whole year. Ironically each year commences on April 1st.

"Do the NHS pay above the odds to the dentist to make the work before the quota runs out lucrative enough to offset any works above the quota? They are a business so have to turn a profit at the end of the day.”

I dont know if money changes hands to attain the contract.
Yes private dentists are a business. If you are on the NHS list at a private pracice like i was then you might have noticied why they always try to suggest (when they shouldn’t) additional private treatment.
Like wise in full NHS contracted business, it is my understanding that when dentists quotas are filled, they will often pass on the points onto another dentist who is presently low on filling their quota. When all dentists have used up their quota they still continue trading and giving you the treatment, because they have to. The cost you pay will directly go to the NHS pocket and they will lose out. But hey thats their business model. And it works for them.
Like the private Dentist they knew what they were getting into when they signed up for the NHs contracts.

"I realise dentists will be on a good salary but they’ve worked for it so deserve to be paid for the hours they work.”

They work no harder in my books than any other person i know in work.

Replies in this thread : 7

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Dentist  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to