Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > STC MEETING TONIGHT - 7th September 2017 at 7.30pm

Replies in this thread : 27

Author

Topic : STC MEETING TONIGHT - 7th September 2017 at 7.30pm

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

07/09/2017 : 09:32:12      reply with quote

SUMMONS TO THE MEETING OF SILSDEN TOWN COUNCIL IN THE COOP MEETING ROOM

Please use the doors at the back of the car park to enter not through the shop.

7th September 2017 at 7.30pm

Amongst the topics to be discussed:

2. To consider the 3 requests for finance from Friends of Silsden Town Hall

a] An annual amount ring-fenced from the precept start April 18 for 30,702.
b] A one off start up grant of 20,000.
c] To release the 25000 police monies for a police stop shop please see letter [previously circulated] from WYP.

The full agenda

silsden.net/town_council/docs_17/17_meetings/STC_meeting_agenda_Sept2017.pdf

click for more information

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

07/09/2017 : 16:42:15      reply with quote

The town council have kept away from this white elephant for a few years now and should continue to do so, bfd have sold everything off here and now by the back door they hope to make silsdens ratepayers to pay twice for this old relic yes pay twice, hope the town council hold their nerve and refuse any more ratepayers cash to be wasted on this dump, I bet bed are still he'll bent on the new 47 million pound swimming pool for then centre of bfd

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

07/09/2017 : 16:51:52      reply with quote

Skippy I agree with you on this.
We need all the Councillors to be at the meeting and do the right thing.
That would be to not waste any more money on the Town Hall but instead put it towards the new community building, fit for purpose which is already being investigated.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

07/09/2017 : 18:55:44      reply with quote

The substantial money held by STC belongs to the people of the town, and they should be consulted about funds for the Town Hall, the decision should not be in the hands of a few people who have a biased view of the Town Hall. A recent poll about supporting the Town Hall gathered large support, and I think that a request for funds from the local precept should have wider publicity, and agreement from the people who supply the money. The proposed community hall project is a direct competitor to the Town Hall.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

07/09/2017 : 22:13:36      reply with quote

As the saying says, don't sit in the dark complaining, light a candle.
There are two vacant seats on the Town Council, don't just write on here complaining join the Council and help the Town.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 06:48:47      reply with quote

Let's see how the vote went... would one vote have made a difference? Hopefully STC have decided to support the Town Hall at last.
My point was that large commitments of our money should be well aired to the people. Not everyone wants to join a council, which is why there are vacancies always. That tells you something.
Every time someone raises a sensitive issue, the answer is always "join the council then", but it may not make any difference.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 08:38:20      reply with quote

posted by dexter
Not everyone wants to join a council, which is why there are vacancies always. That tells you something.

Every time someone raises a sensitive issue, the answer is always "join the council then", but it may not make any difference.
I find this attitude very negative. I'm not a member of the council but I do attend most meetings (as do one or two others). Silsden Council are not paid but they do the best they can to help the community. Observations and comments from the sidelines when you don't even attend a meeting to see what goes on is negative. You don't have to become a member of the council but you should at least find out what it does, and what goes on before making comments. The only time I see unknown members of the public attending a council meeting is usually when they want something:

1) A grant from the precept money.
2) To support a planning application, in fact I'm surprised more people don't attend the meeting when their planning application is discussed to explain their case, but they don't.
3) When the bulldozers are at the gate it's too late but that's when people turn up, not when the proposal was first discussed.

There are a lot of topics which never make the minutes. The minutes are always published about 5 weeks after the meeting, after they have been ratified as part of the following meeting.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 08:48:20      reply with quote

It is true to say council tax payers should not pay twice.So
A)Bradford Council should cover the cost of running the Town Hall. Having sold everything else off it is the least it should do.The extra income in Council Tax from all the new houses will cover current cost's and complete the job they started a couple of years ago.It is not the job of the Town Council to bail out Bradford Council.
B)Having originally paid for the Town Hall(initially and the refurb) I do not think the people of Silsden should pay for a new building because the town will not stand two community buildings competing against each other.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 08:57:44      reply with quote

Gazzer, The Town Hall is in competition with all the church halls the football and golf clubs, all desperate to make their premises profitable.
They manage to go on without massive handouts from Silsden rate payers who never use them, so why should the Town Hall be any different?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 08:58:40      reply with quote

posted by dexter
Let's see how the vote went... would one vote have made a difference? Hopefully STC have decided to support the Town Hall at last.
I made the effort to attend the meeting last night so I can tell you after a debate the council decided to form a working group to work with Friends of Silsden Town Hall to understand what is being proposed by Bradford and what needs to happen to make the Town Hall a viable project to adopt.

The vote to support the creation of the STC working group in association with the Friends of Silsden Town Hall was a UNANIMOUS decision.

If you remember at the last public meeting about the Town Hall it was stated the TH was running at a lost of about 10K per year. However, since then Bradford seems to have found a lot of backlog maintenance requirements, which if the annual precept request of 30,702 is anything to go by, means the TH is now running at a 30K loss per year????

Committing the tax payers of Silsden to this sort of cost out of our precept money (when we all pay our council tax to Bradford which should pay for this facility) is not something to be taken lightly and should be scrutinised.

Is the 30K just the tip of the iceberg?
Is the project feasible?
Lots of questions need to be asked, and answers provided, before we take this project on.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 09:07:53      reply with quote

Thanks for the update Peter, a sensible outcome all round. The posts from skippy and grandad suggested that the proposal should be kicked out by STC straight away, and it just seemed to me that an alternative view should be made.

I am not knocking the good that people do, it's just that people's money is important these days, and more and more local councils are filling gaps caused by cuts, to help the local community move forward. Surely that's what the local precept is for. It seems to work elsewhere.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 09:56:18      reply with quote

The 75K request by the Friends of Silsden Town Hall is a great deal of our money to give away to one project and must be accounted for. The request for the 30K part would be an annual donation.

None of the money requested is required until 1st April 2018, but a decision on the type of TH adoption has to be made fairly quickly on the way the TH is taken over.

The 25K police monies was given to the people of Silsden to set up a police contact point and has it's own restrictions attached. (This was given to us by the police when the police station was sold and is now held in trust by STC)

midway
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 17:03:45      reply with quote

Can i compliment the F.O.S.T.H. Spokesman for his in depth opening speech, with regard to the number of groups using the facilities and their plans for the future. It was unfortunate he was not able to show any accounts as regarding income or expenditure, or any details as to what the 20000 start up grant was to be used for. My understanding is that the 30000 is the cost to maintain the booking in arrangements with brad,met. No explanation was given as to how the 25000 was to be used.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

08/09/2017 : 18:39:40      reply with quote

It's good to see scrutiny being applied to spending of public money locally. These figures are substantial, and people like to know their money is being spent wisely. They should also be involved in any major decisions.
Hopefully the same scrutiny will be applied to any proposals for a new community building, which could be expensive, and also will have ongoing costs likely to be paid for by local taxpayers for a long time to come.

victor
Website Member

Website Member

09/09/2017 : 17:53:48      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

In 2013 the precept was increased by 11000 a year this was to cover the cost of any elections to Silsden council. Well there have been no elections so around 50,000 has been collected where is it ?.

cars
Website Member

Website Member

09/09/2017 : 19:33:05      reply with quote

I doubt that they know

cars
Website Member

Website Member

09/09/2017 : 19:33:05      reply with quote

I doubt that they know

midway
Website Member

Website Member

09/09/2017 : 19:52:52      reply with quote

Try this www.silsden.net/town_council/STC_annual_accounts_return/STC_annual_return_2016.pdf

victor
Website Member

Website Member

09/09/2017 : 20:33:27      reply with quote

midway do you Know why the council are still collecting 11,000 a year extra precept when obviously they don't need it. Could it be for the pet project that they keep quiet about, it is our money not Bradford's and not for Silsden town council's to do with as they will.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

09/09/2017 : 21:29:16      reply with quote

Let's have a look and see if we are getting a good deal.
www.bradford.gov.uk/council-tax/general-council-tax-information/council-tax-bands-and-amounts/

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 10:49:16      reply with quote

STC Annual Accounts Return - 2016

www.silsden.net/town_council/STC_annual_accounts_return/index.htm

solid wood flooring

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 11:07:48      reply with quote

Victor and Cars, please get off your hobby horse.
look at the facts given.
Stop stirring.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 12:37:20      reply with quote

this post has been edited 2 time(s)

Peter can you please show 2013 precept return,i would like to compare it with most recent.

Got it
Ratified the precept for 2013/14 as 50700
(46050 to be raised by local precept
and 4650 from a one off grant from the gov
ernment). Tax band D precept will be
17.663p. Clerk to inform Bradford.

dexter
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 15:14:41      reply with quote

posted by HurricaneHector
look at the facts given.
Stop stirring.
It's comments like this one that suggests that people are right to ask questions about how public money is spent. It's because people are looking at the facts that questions are being asked. "Stop stirring" suggests that some people don't like to be challenged...
Let people have their say, HurricaneHector, it's their money.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 15:59:32      reply with quote

posted by dexter
posted by HurricaneHector
look at the facts given.
Stop stirring.
It's comments like this one that suggests that people are right to ask questions about how public money is spent. It's because people are looking at the facts that questions are being asked. "Stop stirring" suggests that some people don't like to be challenged...
Let people have their say, HurricaneHector, it's their money.
People have a right to ask genuine questions and should carry on. Knowing who Cars is I think we all agree, they should run along and find something useful to do.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 16:53:06      reply with quote

Been looking into this Asset Transfer arrangement, if and when it is completed, the Town Hall still remains in the ownership of Brad met, they lease it to who ever.
THE LIST.
www.bradford.gov.uk/media/3401/community-asset-transfer-register.pdf

victor
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 20:47:37      reply with quote

Gazzer could you please tell me who cars is ?. And who is they ?.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

10/09/2017 : 21:41:03      reply with quote

posted by victor
Gazzer could you please tell me who cars is ?. And who is they ?.
Not for me to name mames

Replies in this thread : 27

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > EVENTS - ANNOUNCEMENTS - MEETINGS > STC MEETING TONIGHT - 7th September 2017 at 7.30pm  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to