Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Silsden library will close at the end of this month

Replies in this thread : 17

Author

Topic : Silsden library will close at the end of this month

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

16/03/2017 : 18:03:48      reply with quote

Silsden library will close at the end of this month and will not reopen until the summer

The shock news was revealed this week despite efforts by townspeople to take over the library from Bradford Council.

So after all the effort put in to keep the library open Bradford have conspired to close it from the 1st April until the summer.

You could well come to the conclusion (with the other things going on with the Town Hall) that Bradford would like to close the Town Hall and the library and sell it off.

I wonder what we DO actually get for the council tax we pay.

More information
news.silsden.net/news/silsden-library-will-close-at-the-end-of-this-month
click for more information

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2017 : 10:02:23      reply with quote

Another Silsden asset being taken away.
Where is Mallinson?
Why isn't he doing his usual and shouting out about it?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2017 : 11:01:30      reply with quote

posted by grandad
Where is Mallinson?

I think you have misread the article:

It will be reopening after training volunteer staff to run the library (in the summer). But, the point is there was no need to close it because the volunteers were in place but the training didn't happen because of delays in holding meetings, due to some councillors attending out of ward meetings when the meetings were scheduled for the library, this delayed a decision on the library for about a month. The Silsden library staff provided by Bradford were reallocated, so there isn't anyone to run the library after 1 April, and Bradford are not helping! It's almost like they want the library to close?

ginjo
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2017 : 11:15:57      reply with quote

disgusting, how much would it have cost to just keep it open with paid staff until volunteers are trained presume non of our councillors have fought very hard over this.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2017 : 11:27:26      reply with quote

posted by ginjo
non of our councillors have fought very hard over this.
This isn't true, Adrian Naylor has put a lot of time and effort into getting the library up and running with volunteers, but I can't say the same about the other two ward councillors.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2017 : 14:47:40      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

posted by Peter
posted by grandad
Where is Mallinson?

I think you have misread the article:

It will be reopening after training volunteer staff to run the library (in the summer). But, the point is there was no need to close it because the volunteers were in place but the training didn't happen because of delays in holding meetings, due to some councillors attending out of ward meetings when the meetings were scheduled for the library, this delayed a decision on the library for about a month. The Silsden library staff provided by Bradford were reallocated, so there isn't anyone to run the library after 1 April, and Bradford are not helping! It's almost like they want the library to close?

Peter, NO I didn't misread the article!
The library is to close, even if it is not for long it is still being taken away from Silsden.
There was no mention of Mallinson having done anything to help keep it open, only Councillor Naylor.
And I asked why Mallinson is not shouting about about this in the papers like he usually does.
So where do you think I misread it?

cars
Website Member

Website Member

17/03/2017 : 20:46:28      reply with quote

shut up grandad

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2017 : 10:21:42      reply with quote

cars, you have previously been warned about being abusive; don't do it.
It only goes to show yourself up.

cars
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2017 : 18:14:44      reply with quote

but its ok for you to tell me to shut up , is that what your mummy told you, one rule for you one rule for others

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/03/2017 : 23:23:19      reply with quote

Stop it, the topic is?

cars
Website Member

Website Member

19/03/2017 : 19:02:17      reply with quote

ok, back to the subject, what positive actions are you 'Grandad' doing about the Library's closure ? (positive answers only, lets see if you 'Grandad' can give a response with blaming Mr. Mallinson for all failings within Silsden )

midway
Website Member

Website Member

20/03/2017 : 12:26:11      reply with quote

Cars---Please can you forget your differences, and concentrate on the problems that affect the whole community. and to my mind, Grandad does more than most.

wolfen
Website Member

Website Member

30/03/2017 : 21:58:30      reply with quote

I understand Silsden library is to close until sometime in the Summer?
Can I take you back to when a meeting was called to save the original library and the other buildings in Wesley Place and maybe create a community hall?
I attended that meeting after writing to the council and posting my views on here. I was surprised at the poor turnout, about 20 to 30 people plus councillors involved and a representative from Bradford council made an appearance.
I was very angry at the sneaky way the stealing of the library was carried out, secret meetings attended by those with an agenda. I was informed by the representative of the council that plans to sell the library were instigated 2 years previously?.
At that meeting, I heard a councillor and his colleague, discussing the moving of the library to the small room in the town hall, at which time he whispered quietly to his colleague that “it would only be a year or so before they closed it.”
At that time I threw in the towel, it was obvious they had planned all this for some time before and that eventually, they intend to sell everything and cease any facilities in Silsden, and anywhere else they can, and the majority of Silsdener`s don’t seem to give a damn.!
I am not counting on the library opening again, I believe this “delay” in training has been engineered as an excuse to cancel the re-opening of the library as the council see only a small number of concerned people who care, and they are right!
The majority of the several thousand peoples of Silsden don’t deserve a library or any other facility.

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

31/03/2017 : 07:34:27      reply with quote

well said wolfen,i totally agree.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2017 : 04:21:58      reply with quote

posted by wolfen
I understand Silsden library is to close until sometime in the Summer?
Can I take you back to when a meeting was called to save the original library and the other buildings in Wesley Place and maybe create a community hall?
I attended that meeting after writing to the council and posting my views on here. I was surprised at the poor turnout, about 20 to 30 people plus councillors involved and a representative from Bradford council made an appearance.
I was very angry at the sneaky way the stealing of the library was carried out, secret meetings attended by those with an agenda. I was informed by the representative of the council that plans to sell the library were instigated 2 years previously?.
At that meeting, I heard a councillor and his colleague, discussing the moving of the library to the small room in the town hall, at which time he whispered quietly to his colleague that “it would only be a year or so before they closed it.”
At that time I threw in the towel, it was obvious they had planned all this for some time before and that eventually, they intend to sell everything and cease any facilities in Silsden, and anywhere else they can, and the majority of Silsdener`s don’t seem to give a damn.!
I am not counting on the library opening again, I believe this “delay” in training has been engineered as an excuse to cancel the re-opening of the library as the council see only a small number of concerned people who care, and they are right!
The majority of the several thousand peoples of Silsden don’t deserve a library or any other facility.

Very well said.

On top of that, Bradford Council (or more to the point Andrew Mallinson) decreed that £300,000 was needed to renovate the former town hall. Funds ran out and a further £100,000 was thrown at it. Further funds may well have been thrown at it, given the fact he kept demanding the £25,000 police funding be handed over to them.

On top of that, the "friends of Silsden Former Town Hall" are now seeking funding for kitchen equipment, sound equipment and mobile stages. Are they taking the p€$$$?

The group have removed questions from Silsden Buzz (Facebook page) when questions have been asked about this.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2017 : 10:20:42      reply with quote

Just a reminder about the treatment we received from Bradford Council when we tried to do something for the community and save the old library building and Wesley Place for the community.

thewesleyplaceproject.silsden.net/

I can see the same thing happening to the Town Hall, so perhaps some lessons can be learned from a study of the Wesley Place Project.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2017 : 21:05:27      reply with quote

Gamekeeper, Whilst I agree with almost all of your statement, please can I correct one item?
The £25,000 is not Police money, it is money given to Silsden from the sale of the Silsden Police Station; for a police and community contact point.

The police have no intention of setting up a contact point, so the Town Council are holding it until there is a proper project for a community contact point.

GAMEKEEPER
Website Member

Website Member

24/04/2017 : 23:16:11      reply with quote

posted by grandad
Gamekeeper, Whilst I agree with almost all of your statement, please can I correct one item?
The £25,000 is not Police money, it is money given to Silsden from the sale of the Silsden Police Station; for a police and community contact point.

The police have no intention of setting up a contact point, so the Town Council are holding it until there is a proper project for a community contact point.
I agree Grandad. I apologise for any confusion I may have caused.

Replies in this thread : 17

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Silsden library will close at the end of this month  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to