Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to Have Your Say !!!! | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Traffic Lights on Keighley Road

Replies in this thread : 418
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
<< next page next page >>

Author

Topic : Traffic Lights on Keighley Road

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2016 : 11:52:14      reply with quote

From Grandad

First question, when is the work starting to rebuild the walls on Keighley Rd from the garage to Belton Rd?

Second I have learnt today that Harran homes are to have traffic lights on Keighley in the next weeks whilst they lay a top water drain down Keighley Rd to where they can get access to the beck.

This could mean we will have two sets of traffic lights on the same stretch of road at the same time.

I have tried looking on the Bradford web site but it comes up with an error message.
The site to find out about roadworks is roadworks.org/

The following images are taken from the site and show when the roadworks are to be carried out on Keighley Road.

For the drainage 1 Aug - 12 Sep

For the wall 28 Jul 2016 - 6 Jan 2017

I suggest we take lots of pictures of the ensuing traffic congestion - you are welcome to send them to me and I will make a picture gallery up with dates and time.

click for more information

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2016 : 14:45:01      reply with quote

Peter, thanks for the info, even though it is very bad news.
However I have also been informed that no work in or around this watercourse should be undertaken between September and May, can you or anybody else enlighten us on this point?
I believe it is because of the effect it will have on the fish.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

18/07/2016 : 15:17:25      reply with quote

Between September and May seems like a flood risk period to me but then what do I know. I believe the contractor are Feathers so I don't suppose anything will happen until they finish at Cringles and then when they do start there will be traffic lights and no workmen.

I also thought they were going to do as much work as possible from the beck side, not sure I would like to be working in the beck, or have any equipment in the beck during the winter months.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 11:57:59      reply with quote

I've just seen in the Keighley News it is going to get even worse!
From 01/08/16 to 10/10/16 they are also closing Bradley road, from Bridge st to Bradley Ave.
If I owned a business in Silsden I would be onto Bradford telling them I would be claiming for loss of business due to all these closures.

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 12:50:24      reply with quote

Looks like the residents of Bradley Road will have a bit of a problem going anywhere in August/September

On the Keighley Road planned roadworks - Bradford have woken up to the fact that two lots of traffic lights have been authorised on the same part of Keighley Road, at the same time.

There will now only be one set of traffic lights so the work on the beck wall and the surface water drain from the Harren Homes Sykes Lane) development will be carried out sequentially (oh joy we will have to put up with this situation for even longer).

The last time I looked the information on the timing of the road works had changed yet again and it will now last longer - surprise, surprise! This is the Cringles wall lot we are talking about and we will soon be into the flood period, so I can only see workmen waiting out the rain in their portacabin watching the traffic lights change (oblivious, of course, to the traffic queuing on the dual carriageway and halfway up Cringles.

These people have still not met with our town council.

If you want to check the situation for yourselves this is the link
roadworks.org/

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 12:53:45      reply with quote

PS I think the fact the Bradley Road information is in RED means teh road will be closed.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 13:50:54      reply with quote

yes Peter the piece does say, closed except for emergency vehicles.

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 14:48:56      reply with quote

it would appear that the buissnesses on bradley road me included have not been informed about the closure, 9 buissnesses will be affected. i have spoken to adrian naylor today to see why no consultation with the residents ,the buisnesses and the town council. i thought we had an agreement with bfd regarding all consultation of things to affect silsden, something has gone wrong seriously wrong.

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 16:38:21      reply with quote

Yes Skippy, the something that is seriously wrong is called Bradford Met.
SNAFU!

midway
Website Member

Website Member

28/07/2016 : 18:01:08      reply with quote

So will that be "Situation Normal, All Fouled Up"

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

29/07/2016 : 08:02:26      reply with quote

posted by midway
So will that be "Situation Normal, All Fouled Up"
Yes that is the polite version!

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/07/2016 : 11:47:44      reply with quote

So have got this right?. The new Sykes Lane development requires a 4ft pipe to take away rainwater and they are putting it into a beck at the exact point where flooding happens!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/07/2016 : 14:19:49      reply with quote

posted by gazzer
So have got this right?. The new Sykes Lane development requires a 4ft pipe to take away rainwater and they are putting it into a beck at the exact point where flooding happens!!
No not correct.

The large pipe goes from the Sykes Lane development to Keighley Road. From there to where it will enter the beck (just before Marcell House) there will be a 22.5cm clay pipe which will have a total length of 71m (that's the length of misery we have to endure when they dig up the road and it will take about ten weeks!) The flow into the beck will be limited to 9 litres per second and I guess the large pipes will act as a holding tank.

THE DRAINAGE DETAILS:
news.silsden.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/SYKES_LANE_DRAINAGE__15_03871_SUB02-DRAIN-4568762.pdf

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

29/07/2016 : 15:53:14      reply with quote

Cant believe its joining the beck upstream of the Belton Road bridge restriction. 9l/s is almost 32,500 extra litres an hour!!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

29/07/2016 : 16:37:27      reply with quote

this post has been edited 1 time(s)

If the beck is in flood the water from the Sykes Lane site will be further restricted by a flap valve on the outlet beck wall i.e. the water pressure of the beck in flood will prevent the drain flap from opening. The water will then backup to the holding tanks on the Sykes Lane site. However, if the tanks are full, note the blue arrow Sykes Lane, on the pdf map above - this is the overflow /safety for the tanks - so get your boat out to sail down Sykes Lane. happy :)

grandad
Website Member

Website Member

29/07/2016 : 17:26:25      reply with quote

If this 9" pipe was to run for 71 miles I could understand why it is taking so long, But 71 metres?
And whats the betting that this pipe will cut through the newly repaired wall?

midway
Website Member

Website Member

31/07/2016 : 08:38:34      reply with quote

grandad.
"And whats the betting that this pipe will cut through the newly repaired wall? "

midway
Website Member

Website Member

31/07/2016 : 09:11:35      reply with quote

As we see this plan, when the flap valve is closed, because the beck is in full flow all the surface water with the retaining tanks full will back up and then flow into Sykes lane. are we correct ?

hat
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 13:59:48      reply with quote

the signs were going up on Keighley road this morning giving advance notice of disruption for the next 20 weeks! that's the rest of the year. Must be taking the same approach as Cringles & re-building the entire wall to the river for it to take that long

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 17:34:30      reply with quote

Just wondering whether the wall builders are aware of a pile of wall stones which, it would appear, were recovered after the floods & are, I believe, stored in the yard at the back of Habisit.

HurricaneHector
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 17:42:36      reply with quote

If the Cringles wall is anything to go by, it wont matter; they will throw all the good stone away, and buy new which will not be in keeping with anything.
solid wood flooring

Mickyfinn
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 19:51:17      reply with quote

Walk past the back of Spencer's Garage & see the fabulous work done to replace their retaining wall, using existing & original Yorkshire sandstone & see what can be done. Bradford's response that the original stones in the Cringles walls are defective is absolute c**p. For Bradford Council to say that the existing stones were defective & removed to landfill beggars belief, & to suggest that the Council can artificially age these stone walls is unbelievable. We live on the edge of the Dales & should expect that our footprint is in keeping. As for the Stakes, well, enough said, it is a mess. Surely Silsden Council can & should insist that remedial work to damaged walls in Keighley Road should be reinstated with traditional drystone walls, or are we to accept Cringles Mark II. Stone is available & should be used.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 22:24:50      reply with quote

The wall upto the Aldi entrance is in the conservation area

jonno
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 22:37:16      reply with quote

I just can't beleive Bfd Council think it's acceptable to have this work and all the associated traffic disruption going on for 20 weeks. That's nearly half a bl**dy year just to build a sodding wall! Houses get built in less!

Please tell me it's not being built by the same clowns building the Cringles wall!

Can anyone confirm the town council's view and what they'll be doing to get Bfd council to reduce the time this takes and mitigate the disruption?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

01/08/2016 : 23:10:48      reply with quote

From my post above

There will now only be one set of traffic lights so the work on the beck wall and the surface water drain from the Harren Homes Sykes Lane) development will be carried out sequentially (oh joy we will have to put up with this situation for even longer).

The last time I looked the information on the timing of the road works had changed yet again and it will now last longer - surprise, surprise! This is the Cringles wall lot we are talking about and we will soon be into the flood period, so I can only see workmen waiting out the rain in their portacabin watching the traffic lights change (oblivious, of course, to the traffic queuing on the dual carriageway and halfway up Cringles.

These people have still not met with our town council.

If you want to check the situation for yourselves this is the link
roadworks.org/

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 06:54:32      reply with quote

Flood Repair Work on Walls to Start in Silsden

Essential work to repair flood damaged walls in Silsden will be carried out by Bradford Council later this month.

Last yearís Boxing Day floods caused serious undermining of two retaining walls on the main A6034 Keighley Road and Bradley Road.

On Monday,15 August, work will start on both walls which will have to be demolished and rebuilt after the underlying foundations and underground service conduits have been repaired and secured.

Bradley Road will have to be closed for 12 weeks for the work to be carried out and diversion signs will be put in place.

The work on Keighley Road, lasting for 24 weeks, will be carried out in short lengths with temporary lights to control traffic.

Bradford Council will instruct the contractor to work weekends in order to get the work completed as soon as possible and site activities will be monitored to ensure that the impact on local residents is kept to a minimum.

All private accesses near the work will remain in use and any other residents whose access is affected will receive assistance from Bradford Council.

Pedestrian ways across the work will be maintained and business will remain open. Bus services will operate as usual.

Coun Alex Ross-Shaw, Bradford Councilís Executive Member for Regeneration, Planning and Transport, said: "We realise that this work will cause quite a lot of traffic disruption in the area but we donít have a choice.

"The flooding undermined the walls to the extent that any repeat could result in a total collapse, risking not only peopleís safety but the total closure of both roads for a long time.

"We would ask that residents and road users remain patient while we try to make sure that both walls are safe and secure whatever the weather brings in the future.Ē

Anyone wanting more information about the work can call 01274 431000.

Bassman
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 10:11:25      reply with quote

can the traffic lights be moved during the evening rush hour

regor
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 13:26:17      reply with quote

Where does the Sykes Lane development pipeline fit into this which is supposed to take 10 weeks ?

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 15:06:47      reply with quote

posted by regor
Where does the Sykes Lane development pipeline fit into this which is supposed to take 10 weeks ?
The answers are all here for the looking:

Goto roadworks.org/

... and select NEXT 12 MONTHS

... click on the traffic light(s) to get more information

You didn't want to get in and out of Silsden anyway - did you?

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 16:14:21      reply with quote

I trust that our three Ward Councillors are lobbying BMDC to impose a 7.5 tons vehicle limit for the duration of the Keighley Road roadworks?

skippy
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 17:18:23      reply with quote

peter where did bfd get the information about walls collapsing after boxing day floods? bradley road fell down at least 6 weeks before that so has someone applied for money under false pretences? pennypeck we only have 1 ward councillor who works on our behalf as the 2 tories think it is beneath them.dont live near so dont care thats their thought correct me if i am wrong cllrs rikard and mallinson.

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 19:54:13      reply with quote

Skippy, yes I know that.

A few dozen posts on the same or similar theme might raise their interest.

midway
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 21:50:27      reply with quote

The Town council have repeatedly requested for a HGV traffic restriction {over 7:5 ton} on the A 6034} THROUGH Silsden centre, however CBMDC refuse. When quizzed at a recent town council meeting, a CBMDC Highways officer stated if this was imposed it would entail an 8mile detour for HGV, Using bypasses of Draughton and Skipton. Note HGV vehicles transporting waste from Golden Butts in Ilkley use the route of the A6034 travelling to the waste transfer station in Keighley.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

02/08/2016 : 22:18:24      reply with quote

These permits for roadworks are a waste of time. I hear the maximum fine for a breach is a £80 fixed penalty notice

Pennypeck
Website Member

Website Member

03/08/2016 : 08:11:15      reply with quote

Gazzer, I can't agree with you there. I live on Keighley Road and when a 7.5 ton limit was imposed a couple of years ago the change was very significant. It was like a different world out there. It's likely that some HGV's sneaked through but I don't recall seeing any.

Remember that once vehicles have cleared the traffic light section in the inward direction, they immediately face the stop/start situation up to the canal bridge and beyond. The town would be better without all that. Additionally, HGV's have taken to mounting the footpath instead of waiting to transit a narrow section, besides parking with a wheel on the footpath.

Warning signs in Colne that encourage HGV's (and indeed any traffic) to head towards the Skipton / Draughton / Addingham bypasses would help. A lot of that traffic comes over the moss through Cowling and Crosshills. Ditto on the Addingham bypass to encourage those coming from the Ilkley direction.

To summarise, something more than sticking traffic lights up can surely be done to alleviate the expected situation.

gazzer
Website Member

Website Member

03/08/2016 : 08:48:18      reply with quote

posted by Pennypeck
Gazzer, I can't agree with you there.
Was talking about roadwork contractors not a sensible ban on HGV's.Two issues..contractors get a £80 fine for breaching permits

www.cornishman.co.uk/vodafone-is-to-blame-for-truro-traffic-chaos-but-don-t-worry-cornwall-council-has-fined-them-80/story-29576390-detail/story.html

Replies in this thread : 418
Page : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
<< next page next page >>

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > Have Your Say !!!! > Traffic Lights on Keighley Road  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to