Silsden Cam Bookmark and Share

<< HOME PAGE  < RETURN

Donate to Yorkshire Air Ambulanceback to I'm looking for...... | back to forum index | login | sign up | help | latest topics | search

Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > St John Square, Silsden

Replies in this thread : 5

Author

Topic : St John Square, Silsden

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

10/07/2012 : 23:10:29      reply with quote

Posted on behalf of Hazel

I am trying to locatethe location of my birth family and the certificates I have received states the address of St John Square, Silsden. Please could you enlighten me if this address still exists or is an old address. Hope you can help, many thanks. Hazel Garr
click for more information

dogcatcher
Website Member

Website Member

11/07/2012 : 08:47:01      reply with quote

did this stand below albert sq op naylor myers thats stood as an empty plot now??????

greenlanes
Website Member

Website Member

11/07/2012 : 11:42:16      reply with quote

John Square (the St. wasn't often used, even on official documents!) was one of several squares of stone cottages, built for millworkers, down Keighley Road (usually known as The Becks). Other very similar squares included James Square and Thanet Square. (You will find that, on some censuses, the address is simply given as The Becks)My great grand parents also lived down there.
The squares were condemned as no longer fit for habitation and demolished in the 1970s. Today they would be seen as traditional and full of character, and renovated!

Peter
Website Member

Website Member

11/07/2012 : 12:59:22      reply with quote

The Becks, off Keighley Road, Silsden. The squares were condemned as no longer fit for habitation and demolished in the 1970s

Hazel
Website Member

Website Member

11/07/2012 : 18:19:48      reply with quote

Thank you for the information on John Square, and the historic photo, it was very exciting to learn about this area . Perhaps someone will know the family I never knew. My Grandfather was Ernest Edmondson a farmer in 1952, my father was Gordon Edmondson who would be 22 years of age in 1952 and worked at that time as a labourer for the Yorkshire Electricty Board. They lived at that time at No 5 John's Square. This information comes from a copy of the marriage certificate of my father to Lottie Garnett in 1952, who was aged 16 at that time, and is the only information I have. Look forward to your comments!

Norman
Website Member

Website Member

20/10/2017 : 11:51:01      reply with quote

My name is Norman Edmondson Please contact me RE lost Family Ph 01422252276 or email nedmo@talktalk.net

Replies in this thread : 5

login

refresh page   

latest topics

events
sale / wanted
general
have your say
looking for..
skippy greengrass

DON'T FORGET THE SUBJECT IS >>>>>>>>   Forums Home > I'm looking for...... > St John Square, Silsden  

<< HOME PAGE  RETURN  PAGE TOP ^  

, © silsden.net 2016

webenquiries to